Badly faded gelcoat

VicS

Visit site
The data sheet for Owatrol doesn't mention polishing GRP
They used to promote it for that purpose
I tried it. Useless and it builds up if you repeat the application over a few years, then it's difficult to remove.

However

Polytrol is now offrered for the purpose.

After Owatrol I am not even going to try it.

Two alternatives:
Compound and polish. You'll be able to do that several times.

Paint, when its too far gone for compounding and polishing​

Dipper

Visit site
I noticed that as well but it was originally sold in chandlers for that purpose.

A bit of digging around on their site has turned up Polytrol which can be used for treating gel coat and bringing the lustre back to aluminium. Perhaps this is the Owertol Oil with a slightly different formulation.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
As I said, when I used Owatrol it was not as a polish; I simply wiped it on with a cloth, which was as suggested at the time.

It worked well for quite a few years for me, when it did seem to finally rach a build-up- or some sort of UV snag - it wasn't a big problem to remove.

Apart from using as a polish instead of wiping on, it's hard to imagine what could go wrong - except maybe it wouldn't have much effect on white topsides, it's ( or was ) meant to bring back faded colours, not polish, though it did bring back a good lustre; my topsides are fairly dark blue.

If it had been a disaster I wouldn't have suggested it; looking at the Manta photo's I'm sure it would work for a few years, then Toplac when more convenient.

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
I think the paint route is the best!

I had a manta in bright blue and it took a lot of polishing to keep it good.

All the red ones I have seen have looked faded and streaked and I think you will find it a constant job to keep it looking good even if you get rid of the bleached patches.

I would go for twin pack paint using the roller method tipped off with a paint pad. Gives results as good if not better than a amateur with a spray gun, and a lot less mess.