Backstay as aerials

G

I have a steel boat so any radio requires an external aerial. I thought I could easily and cheaply convert the backstay by using a pair of insulators. Unfortunatly I found out that the stayloc fittings that I favoured would cost £200 for a pair. This was more than I was expecting to pay. Does any one know of any cheaper alternatives. I wondered how effective taking an insulated cable and winding it up and around the backstay would be. I am aware that the length should be determined by the frequency being recieved. Assistance is requested gentlemen, and ladies of course. I was thinking of getting one of those world band radios but most do not seem to have a dedicated aerial socket. how would I conect the external aerial to the radio. Last year I actualy bought a NASA SSB reciever, the one that is regularly advertised in PBO. when I read through the installation instructions they were expecting the radio to be installed in a house, and specified the aerial be led down the garden and in through a window. When I phoned the technical help line for info for installing in a boat, I was told They did not have any instructions for fitting in boats, and as I was the first person ever to inquire it should be no trouble. My responce was to return the radio and had a refund.

tony_brighton

Visit site
Seems a bit bizarre - most of the chanlders you look in have the Nasa SSB receiver for sale. Saw several for sale on the major vendors' stands at Southampton. Can't believe they've never sold one to a boat. Maybe they've never DIRECTLY sold one and all their sales go through agents. Why would they keep advertising in the yachting press if it generates no sales?

Paulka

Visit site
You can make your own insulators, as I did 20 years ago:
You'll need glassfiber band 10 or 15 mm wide,
2 bits of stainless tube, as long as the fiberglass band is wide, internal diameter 10 or 12 mm.
Epoxy.
Firmly fasten the tubes 10 cm. or so apart on some stable basis (piece of timber, protected with food wraping transparent foil)
Soak the glassfiber band with epoxy, and coil them 20 or 30 times around the tubes,
Let cure for 24 hours.

You'll get flat, oval insulators.
Mines still going strong!

Good luck.

Paul

Sammy

Visit site
There are lots of arials which are suitable for receiving SSB made for marine use.
I used one which was active and was only 12" long similar to the old Decca arial.
The Nasa unit which you sent back I have found to be very good and I receive Wefax with no problem on the software that came with the set. Very good value for money.

colin_jones

Visit site
You must have got the wrong NASA. They are very au fait with how their gear works on boats and have a good database of practical experience. I have fitted several of their Target radios for friends wanting weathr fax and general reception. We have mostly used a random length of wire, hoisted to a mast or spreader as an antenna.

If you are only wanting to receive, the length of antenna is not critical. The golden rules are to get up as much wire as possible and in a clear airspace. If all else fails, your idea of making a 'helical' wind on a stay will work, but be careful to insulate the end thoroughly. Any metal to metal contact would try to tune the whole mast and rigging. That could be bad news. You could also use a fishing
pole with a wire winding.