Azores Liveaboard

Anjo

Visit site
Hi,

Would any of you good folk know if liveaboard is possible/permitted/doable in any of the Azores marinas please?

Any comments or advise greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Anjo.

srm

Visit site
Hi Anjo,

There is a small live aboard community in Marina da Praia da Vitoria, Terceira, (including me since 2014). All the other marinas belong to Portos Acores, except for one on Sao Miguel. I don't know what their rules are, but there are a few boats that look like long term live aboards in Horta. Also, all the marinas I have been in have a few long term boats that are probably foreign owned. (Locals prefer a foreign flag to side step Portuguese regulations).

Choose your winter berth with care though, all marinas get swell at some time; some much more than others. Ponta Delgada can get uncomfortable swell in the summer and was almost empty when I saw it one December. Santa Maria, the southern most island has a very nice marina that is probably the best protected in the Azores, but is a small island with few facilities.

Winters can be wet and windy. We have had two hurricanes head towards the islands since I came. However, both were downgraded before getting too close.

If you are an EU citizen you will have to get a Portuguese resident permit after three months. This was fairly straight forward in my case using the marina as my address.

Come and have a look see in the summer, the islands are well worth a visit.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to send a PM, though I only check this site from time to time.

Anjo

Visit site
Thanks for the informative reply to my question. Much appreciated! So it is possible with some winter planning then. Plans to be made!