Azimut v Princess charter....help!

pontypool

Visit site
Hello,

Newbie here popped on for a spot of advice about what to charter this year...

Don't know whether to go for a Azimut 42 flybridge or a Princess V48 for a week in Balearics in September. The thing is I have never been on a flybridge having for some years had a Sunseeker Apache 45 and don't know whether I'll like it.

Any comments either way would be gratefully received (and yes when I get time I will try and go and look at one in the UK, but the sooner we book the better the discount!).

There is only going to be four of us so there should be enough space on either I would imagine.....

Thanks in advance.....

jfm

Visit site
The flybr vs sportscruiser choice is very much a personal thing with plenty of folk in both camps. You kinda gotta choose for yourself. I'm in the flybr camp but out of those 2 boats I'd choose the princess becuase I'd rahter be in a 50 foot than 40 foot hull if there's any weahter

pontypool

Visit site
is it weird to helm from several feet further up and is sitting on anchor up there much more wobbly, if you know what i mean?

jfm

Visit site
Helming is fine - much better 360 view. Can be windy though, becuase less screen to protect you.

Yes it's more wobbly at anchor. Needs a skipper to be better at anchoring, eg use a kedge to make sure the boat points into the swell not the wind in some bays. If boat gets sideways onto the swell then the motion is worse than a sports cruiser. Mind you, with 4 of you you can sit downstairs in the aft cockpit

MapisM

Visit site
If you enjoyed the SS you're bound to appreciate the V48.
Re.bad weather, I'd actually go for a 42 flybridge rather than a 50 open.
If the weather is bad enough to really appreciate such hull difference, you'd better stay in the marina imho.
Whilst in "normal" bad weather, the FB has obvious advantages.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Depends how friendly you all are. The V48 only has 2 sleeping cabins whereas the AZ42 normally has 3 cabins. I'm normally a flybridge fan but the extra length of the V48 would be tempting IMHO especially if it's got the hardtop which would give you a bit of shelter. Also the V48 looks better compared to the AZ42 which looks a bit dumpy
However, if both boats were the same length, I'd go for the flybridge every time

pontypool

Visit site
Thanks for the replies above.

Having scouted some photos of the Azimut on the web I would say that it looks like the aft deck is a bit pokey - if we are hoping to be outside all the time soaking up the sun I am guessing the V48 would be defintely the best bet...?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Firstly, September is a good month to go boating in the Balearics. It's much quieter than July/Aug but the weather should still be warm and settled so you will be spending most of your time outside. Yes the cockpit of the AZ42 will be much smaller than the V48 but remember that the AZ42 has a big flybridge as well. It's one of the reasons I like flybridge boats in the Med. You've got the option whether to sit in a cooler shady cockpit or fry upstairs on the flybridge. Also on the flybridge, you catch any breeze thats going unlike a sportscruiser in which the windscreen and side windows tend to stop any breeze. In fact the cockpit of a sportscruiser can get quite hot especially in a marina where you've got bigger boats either side
If any of your party have an issue with the sun or the heat, a flybridge boat is a good idea too because, as I say, the cockpit is generally shaded and you can sit in the saloon in airconditioned comfort and still get a view. Yes a sportscruiser has a saloon too but it tends to be a small poky affair where you don't want to spend much time especially during the day

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
apart from this I would also consider the superb fuel economy from the electronic 385 hp Caterpillar which surely consume less then the 2x480hp Volvo as on the Princess

The Azimut has a good speed and a consumption of about 120 litre per hours at full crising speed, the 42 is also a fabolous seaboat