Avtex or Cello TV

brians

Visit site
Seem to have shortlisted the above two makes for boat in Solent. Probably 16" or 18" screen. Will run on 12V most of the time.

The Avtex is considerably more expensive. Is it that much better?

Richard10002

Visit site
Seem to have shortlisted the above two makes for boat in Solent. Probably 16" or 18" screen. Will run on 12V most of the time.

Neither. I have a Samsung 22" which runs via a 12v to 15v adaptor and has done so for about 4 years now. I also have a 24" LG in the bedroom which runs off a 12v to 19v adapter, a year younger.

Both smart TVs with Freeview HD. Never did like these expensive 12v "boat TVs ".

double_ender

Visit site
We have had a Cello 16 for 3 yrs and really excellent with DVDs playing facility. The surprising thing is how little power it uses off 12v, less than 1 amp. Good picture, price and everything going for it provided you have aerial and reception !
M

PaulRainbow

Visit site

For such a small screen you may as well use a laptop. Or go bigger and, as post #2, buy a Sumsung TV. I've just bought a new 24" one for £130. Not a smart one, but it is HD and a very good picture. It runs on mains via a power adapter, which drops the power to 14v. Lots of people reporting that these run straight off 12v, don't see why that shouldn't be so, my batteries are around 13.4 volts most of the time. Waiting for a plug to arrive and i'll try it. If it doesn't work a DC to DC converter will sort it for a few quid.

Edit : As much as i don't really like Currys, i bought this one ; http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...s/samsung-t24e310-24-led-tv-10127019-pdt.html

Last edited:

mikemanor

www.waltontraining.co.uk
I have a Cello 19" in the caravan. It has the built in Freeview and satellite FTA tuners (but not the Freesat EPG).

The power consumption is remarkably low. The only downside is the limited angle of view before the picture disappears. Not too bad side to side but rubbish vertical angle. You need to be able to mount the TV so you can tilt it to ensure you are looking at the screen at 90 degrees.

Fenders

Visit site
Bought my boat last April and it came with a very old Avtex 15" tv.
The picture was very coarse and the TV was quite bulky.
Looked at new Avtex tv's but they were so expensive.
After some research decided on a Cello with DVD.
It's 24" and has a fantastic picture. Very low power consumption and a very neat piece of kit. I paid £170 for it with free delivery.
I sold the old Avtex on EBay for £77 to a caravaner.

Well pleased with the change.

dash300

Visit site
Had a Cello 22 12 v. Great before it died. Could not make it live again despite taking back off and having a look around. Now dumped and thinking of Avtex or other options. Interested like you on others views.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The only downside is the limited angle of view before the picture disappears. Not too bad side to side but rubbish vertical angle. You need to be able to mount the TV so you can tilt it to ensure you are looking at the screen at 90 degrees.

Good point Mike. The new Samsung i bought has a remarkable angle of view.

oldgit

Visit site
"Which" gave the Cello a real pasting regards picture quality,viewing angles and audio..
Elsewhere on the interweb the Cello and the Polaroid has a real reputation for being almost impossible to get repaired or service back up especially after warranty has expired.
Bit like the dirt cheap marine handportables ,all knocked up with cheapest possible components from a factory which will put your name on it if you buy enough of them,just be aware of their reputation.

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site
WE have both a Cello and an Avtex. The Avtex is definitively the best, though the Cello is not a bad set. Avtex works of raw vehicle 12v whilst many suppliers say that you should use a 12 volt stabiliser and some retailers give you one with the set. Bot are full Euro spec and will for example tune into Portuguese TV unlike some UK sets.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
I'm going with a Avtex 18.5" on my boat. I compared to the Cello (which I have in my camper) and it's definitely the better set of the 2. The newest version is also remarkably slim and has a very narrow bezel. I didn't want a bulky TV, just something nice and tidy to put on a bracket in the corner.

Richard10002

Visit site
For such a small screen you may as well use a laptop. Or go bigger and, as post #2, buy a Sumsung TV. I've just bought a new 24" one for £130. Not a smart one, but it is HD and a very good picture. It runs on mains via a power adapter, which drops the power to 14v. Lots of people reporting that these run straight off 12v, don't see why that shouldn't be so, my batteries are around 13.4 volts most of the time. Waiting for a plug to arrive and i'll try it. If it doesn't work a DC to DC converter will sort it for a few quid.

Edit : As much as i don't really like Currys, i bought this one ; http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...s/samsung-t24e310-24-led-tv-10127019-pdt.html

Has it got all the catch up channels, iPlayer, itv player 4OD, Demand 5, and Netflix?

rwakeham

Visit site
For the evenings when I am by myself on the boat I like my Cello - picture is good. It did go wrong once, but I sent it back to the UK manufacturer and it was replaced very quickly.

I also use a Google Chromecast and have a wireless 4g router which means I can watch netflix / iplayer etc or DVDs on the integrated player (although this is a bit on the loud size). The sound can be a bit poor - but I link it to my stereo.

Rgds

Richard

Paddydog`1

Visit site
Cello excellent Have used it sailing to Scotland via Wales, IOM and N Ireland. Does what it says on the tin Sound kinked through Stereo excellent. DVD facility excellent. Great value

blxm

Visit site
I have both (about 18" sets I think) and you simply get what you pay for. The cello is lower quality and the viewing angle on the vertical axis is not very good compared with avtex. However, I got the non caravan spec cello at a very low price as the power pack was 12v. It has tolerated direct connection to the 12v supply unregulated for a couple of years. I suspect it is the same same tv as the 'proper' 12v model. My theory being at less than half the price of the avtex I won't feel as bad when I want a new TV with the latest technology, whatever that turns out to be.