Avon tender - how to look after?

jamesgrant

Visit site
As well as a repair to make...

The boat is wet and salt encrusted. Obviously I will wash it and dry it.

But what then?

Some places sell spray stuff. Required?

Is it the case that you should use FRENCH CHALK or is that very old hat and only suitable for real rubber and not Hypalon.

FAITIRA

Visit site
Best to keep it inflated but out of/shaded from uv as much as poss, folding it is damaging every time you do it, we keep the dinghy inflated all the time. But uv is the kiss of death. imho. Bill.

VicS

Visit site
This is the first time I have come across any suggestions to use any spray or french chalk.
Agreed though wash repair and keep inflated if possible, in the loft or suspended and well supported from the garage ceiling. While not suggesting you should expose a hypalon dinghy to UV light more than necessary it is much more resistant than the PVC coated fabric that most are made of now.

Polymarine do a range of cleaners and a polish. http://www.polymarine.com/products/parts-and-accessories/inflatable-boat-care-products/index.cfm

Do nothing special to a hypalon dinghy and it will outlast a PVC one many times over. Look after it well and it will probably outlast you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jamesgrant

Visit site
Thank you.
Expensive cleaning products but as a chemist you'll know whether they are worth it or not. (It's not just Fairy liquid is it?)

Very worrying to think a 'rubber' boat may outlive me - maybe they make good boats - maybe I should lead a healthier life style /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

npf1

Visit site
I used the Polymarine cleaner at the weekend on mine - works a treat and very easy. They also sell some sort of polish to use after cleaning, but I've not tried it yet.

billcowan

Visit site
I have an Avon, 45 years old.
has spent 45 winters crumpled up in a locker
or inflated laying the garden.
Only ever washed to get rid of seaweed, fish guts etc.

The question is, what sort of anal retention is it that leads to wasting time maintaining something that will outlive most sailors?

moody1

Anywhere in N.Europe / Baltic that boat is
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have an Avon, 45 years old.
has spent 45 winters crumpled up in a locker
or inflated laying the garden.
Only ever washed to get rid of seaweed, fish guts etc.

The question is, what sort of anal retention is it that leads to wasting time maintaining something that will outlive most sailors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true - our Avon is rolled up by hubby and stowed under the main boom up close to the kicking strap. It's never covered to protect from UV and has survived more years than I care to remember. The only item to have succumbed to age are the slats for the floor.
Hubby may if he feels in a good mood give it a fresh-water hose down occasionally.

johnalison

Visit site
I sold our Redcrest after 30yrs with no patches. I always regard the most important part of cleaning as the removal of grit and sand. Otherwise, they seem to stand up to being put in a bag and chucked into a locker or garage pretty well.

mocruising

Visit site
Having grown up with Avons and purchased older type second hand I purchased a new one three years back. Firstly it was made in France its been covered in the Med for three years and used quite a bit no charter though. All I can say is like most things they don't make them like they used to. I will be lucky to get 20 years out of it let alone 45. We wash it down it hangs in davits covered and wintered partially inflated under the boat cover. I even purchased a pressure gauge with it so that it would not get over inflated with the Med. heat.

Other threads that may be of interest