average fuel cost

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
just wondering if someone here could shed any light on how much one would expect to spend on fuel for a weekend on the thames. Basically im trying to work out all the cost involved in purchasing our first boat - boat price, survey, insurance, mooring, etc. trying to calculate initial outlay as well as ongoing costs, but the one thing I wouldn't have a clue on is how much fuel a boat would use!
Just wondered on a rough idea for a petrol boat like a sealine S24 or Maxum, how much one would expect to use in a weekends light cruising on the non-tidal thames, as I wouldn't have the first clue (are we talking £00 or £000!!)
many thanks in advanced, I know its a bit vague but would hate to buy a boat and not be able to afford to run it as often as i would like.

Chris_d

Visit site
I've run many boats on the Thames over the years, 1x50hp diesel, 1x 50hp petrol, 1x 220hp petrol, 2 x 150hp diesel, 1 x1.5hp petrol, +various outboards, none has ever used more than 1gallon per hour or about 5/6mpg on average, which would be about right for S24 or Maxum with a 200hp 'ish petrol.

Gavi

Visit site
We used our 50hp petrol almost every weekend, averaging about 4 hours per day under way, between late June and September and she used about 250 litres of fuel over that time.

byron

RIP
Visit site
What you asking is akin to "how long is a piece of string" It largely depends on the size of the motor and how many hours a day you are cruising. I can tell you this, a petrol driven craft on the Thames is vastly cheaper to run than operating one at sea. This is because you are running at very low speeds. However! The main problem is getting the fuel. Very few places sell it so it has to be humped to the boat from where-ever.

miket

Visit site
Your fuel question should now be answered but I am bemused why you should want a Sealine S24 or a Maxxum on the Thames?!!
If the answer is so you can go fast at sea too, then be warned of the cost and consumption rate of petrol at high speeds. Also, diesel is likely to be increasing during 2007 although the amount has not yet been decided.
If you actually want to cruise the non-tidal Thames then buy a river boat with a small diesel engine. As Byron has said, the availability of petrol on the Thames is far more of an issue than the consumption.

Gavi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As Byron has said, the availability of petrol on the Thames is far more of an issue than the consumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ask muggins here who forgot to fuel up before the lock between me and the nearest petrol selling marina got closed for refurbishment. The next one is 2 hours up stream...

It might be worth mentioning that I first indended getting something with the Sealine looks but after doing a course at Brixham and seeing how nice river boats are to handle I settled on a floating caravan - a 1979 Freeman 24. Inboard engine, very maneouverable at low speed, lots of space, low wake and, most importantly, wide decks giving easy access around the boat which is VERY handy in locks.

Wouldn't want to take her anywhere near the sea, but then I don't intend to.

bradtarga34

Visit site
We had a Regal 2460 with a 300 hp petrol engine that we used on the Thames and Chris is pretty well spot on with his estimation, as we used about a gallon an hour. As the petrol tank took about 50 gallons, we had about 50 hours of cruising. With using so little there is plenty of time to seek out a marina selling petrol, although they do tend to be more expensive than petrol station forecourts. We used to take her for a blast to Southend on the odd occasion and also the Solent, and that is the time to start really worrying about how much petrol she is using!

miket

Visit site
Likewise, we changed from 2000 Nimbus 345 and 460hp to 1981 Freeman 33 and 120hp. No wash, little smell, nice wide decks and light and airy inside and as a final bonus it goes all the way to Lechlade.

oldgit

Visit site
On my last trip up the Thames to Sonning we used around 1.5 gallons per hour.Boat is a Princess 33 with two 130HP diesels on outdrives.Would agree with other posters on here who have mentioned that fast sports cuddy boats with outdrives are bloody hard work on the upper reaches of the river with difficulty trying to maintain a heading in any sort of breeze.This means you are constantly having to keep correcting the boat which is hardly relaxing if you want to travel any distance and entering locks with 15 other boats on a windy day and trying not to bash into them is an interesting experience at the best of times.We all have all admired the whizzy lines of the type of boats you mentioned but they were designed to be nipping along at 25 knots off shore not creeping along at 5 knots near Henley.Still....... sure you will have lots of fun whatever you end up with.