Autonomous Unmanned Research Vessel?

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
I have a client who wants to create an autonomous unmanned vessel approx 8m long which they hope will 'roam' the oceans recording research data. It will have sat coms so can be controlled remotely, but not _all_ of the time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out about international maritime law regarding unmanned autonomous vessels?

Thank you!

matt1

Visit site
There was a news article about one recently that spent a month off SW Ireland or something. It got me thinking; I get that technology with AIS and Radar is getting close to making this a possibility but what technology exists to determine whether a vessel it encounters is under sail or power? I find it hard to believe any onboard cameras would be able to determine the difference at night? Or does it just default into giving way as a matter of principle?

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I have a client who wants to create an autonomous unmanned vessel approx 8m long which they hope will 'roam' the oceans recording research data. It will have sat coms so can be controlled remotely, but not _all_ of the time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out about international maritime law regarding unmanned autonomous vessels?

Thank you!
Just "Google" Maritime law for unmanned vessels. Have fun!

langstonelayabout

Visit site
BAE Systems have a number of these (and other oddities) based at the Trafalgar Wharf drystack.

obviously they won’t be interested in discussing their capabilities but if your friend is clever and shows innov he might be able to sell some of these characteristics to the likes of the MOD, Lockheed Martin and Rolls Royce through their innovations trade fairs.

blush2

Visit site
ASV is a really interesting story, with lots more to come, IMHO. Locally based for us Solent types.
There's one called Mayflower preparing to leave Plymouth in the not too distant to cross the Atlantic. Was on the local news yesterday.

Ocean Viking

Visit site

Thank you!
Hi CaptainBob - the MCA have been doing some work in this area around the regulation of autonomous vessels. Happy to help with connections if you want.

convey

N/A
Visit site
Hi CaptainBob - the MCA have been doing some work in this area around the regulation of autonomous vessels. Happy to help with connections if you want.
I've been following this with mixed interest and a small degree of concern, given the successes and failures of autonomous autos. Someone's going to rammed by one at some point.

However, on a more practical level, is it possible to hitch a tow off one? Are they going to be running on timetables?

convey

N/A
Visit site
Hmmn, I wonder if one will be eligible to enter next year's JESTER Challenge?

Looks like a distinct weight advantage not having to carry all that food and water. 30 days sitting in a gamer's console seat at home watching the waves go by ...

At the very least, it looks like a good business opportunity for setting up a remote "second watch" service for solo sailers, so they can go below to have a kip.

Last edited: