Auto bilge pump

Visit site
I have an Ocqueteau 645 which has a very narrow bilge.
Any suggestions for an auto pump or should I go for a float and a seperate pump mounted else where with a pipe into the bilge?

Blackfeather

www.blackfeatherboatcharter.com
As nobody more technical has replied I'll have a go.

I would probably go for the float and separate pump. I'm guessing that you are restricted for space and if you have the pump more accessible it will be easier to repair/service. Also by only having to get a pipe into the lowest part of the boat you are more likely to gett more of the water out.

Only my amateur opinion which, hopefully, will be ripped to shreds by some of the the technos on here and then you'll get some decent advice.

andyball

Visit site
i believe Whale do a nice tiny pump which fits in small spots. As with any small pump, output is trifling though.

a remote pump will need to be self-priming of course, which means more ££'s

RogerRat

Visit site
Andy is right about little whale pumps, but you can 3, 5 & 800 gph pumps at low cost and very little increase in size for extra pumping volume!

I would definitely go for a float switch set up and most importantly- AN ALARM!! You can buy these for about £3 from Maplin electronics and a switch panel that can be set to auto from most chandlers to include the audio warning while underway.

You need to know if its running while your travelling. A good tip passed on by a friend who's Sunseeker Martinique was letting in loads of water from the exhaust horns and he didn't find out until he came off the plane.