ATYC Protest

Brayman

Visit site
Is anyone on here a member of an ATYC affiliated club? If so you should be aware of the following:
SUBJECT: RIVER THAMES PROTEST 12/13 MAY 2007

REASON: 12% Registration charge increase for 3 years
2006 and 2007 Revenue Cut Implications
Identifying that Thames are the 75% navigation funders

OBJECTIVES: To demonstrate to the Environment Agency Board that it is in their gift to protect the diminishing services currently being offered to users.

CAUTIONS: Every club on the non-tidal with its members would be expected to participate.

Thames Region EA managers are not being criticised.

Endeavour to protect commercial river business

METHOD: TO CLOSE THE RIVER THAMES FOR ONE HOUR!

PROPOSAL:

1. At a stated time on a Saturday or Sunday 12 or 13 May, ATYC member clubs, supported by Save Our Waterways craft close every lock for one hour.

2. Between Eton Road Bridge and the Motorway Bridge a number of different craft cruise in convoy up and down for an hour.

2.1 This will require between 50 – 75 boats to be effective. These boats would have to over-night in the Windsor Reach as it would not possible for that number of boats to pass through Bovney or Romney Locks.

3. This proposal is put to the ATYC AGM on 14 March, and if agreed a working plan covering:

3.1 Which club will close which lock?

3.2 What boats will join the convoy?

3.3 Who will manage the Windsor convoy?

3.4 Involve Sailing Clubs in the Locks

3.5 Who will manage the Public Relations?

3.6 Who will manage the banners and posters?

Your club representative needs to know if you would support the Association and Save Our Waterways.
You and/or your club representative may attend the ATYC AGM on 14th March to discuss/debate/decide etc

More information on the ATYC web site (www.atyc.co.uk)

Gumpy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why not get the EA to encourage the narrowboats to have a rally, has same effect!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Narrowboats? Surely barges would be better, twice the size /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Foud anyone to go boating with you yet Ian?

Julian

Brayman

Visit site
What makes you think I'm going? But yes 4 upto now, and its ony been a few hours. I'll be interested to see the feedback to the ATYC, they've written to all their club representatives, that's how I found out about it.

ianc1200

Visit site
Hi Julian

Bit of a waste, as I know Neil doesn't look here, but I couldn't resist anyway.

What plans for Parglena this year? Is the new engine in yet? Looks like my boating will be split between the East Coast (as you say, on my own), Thames with the family, and the narrowboat crowd in Ireland.

regards

IanC

Gumpy

Visit site
Engine should be in by the 25th March, Going east this year !
Medway, Swale and if enough time the Roach and Blackwater. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
On the Thames at and after Easter to make sure the new lump works.

J

Brayman

Visit site
The general feeling at the meeting was that blocking the river would be counterproductive and other ideas are being addressed. Particularly a major lobby to each member boater's MP

Brayman

Visit site
At the AGM in March, the idea of a physical protest was turned down and the Chairman asked that clubs return to the June meeting with ideas on how best to protest or demonstrate. The plan for now is for the ATYC committee to draft a template letter that would be sent to every member’s MP.
I assume we won't see that letter until the June meeting as the minutes of the March meeting have not yet been put on their web site.