Athens area marinas

yachttequilla

Visit site
Hi

We've been lucky enough to get some Olympics tickets for Athens 2004. Going to be chaotic I guess but does anyone know of any marinas in the area that we might find space in for a week or so.

Also, we'll probably need somewhere within 200 miles or so of Athens to leave boat for several months over winter whilst we return to UK for kids to go to school. Any suggestions of somewhere where I can get lifted and some basic work done. Preferably English friendly.

Thanks

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
Hi Steve,

I've got a mooring at Frank's boatyard in Porto Heli. It's in a very sheltered bay where some yachts are left at anchor so with due care could be a base during your Olympics visit. There are several hydrofoil and fast cat links to Athens each day - about a 2 hour trip.

Frank cranes out yachts over the winter and has a range of repair services so could also suit your winter needs.

There is also a well run yard with repair services and a travelhoist at Souzaki - thats about 10 miles NE of the eastern end of the Corinth canal. Their prices are very reasonable.

Porto Heli is on the mainland opposite Spetsai.

Frank's telephone number is +30 27540 52380

Souzaki is +30 27410 48427

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
You could try Poros marine boat yard. Yannis there has moorings for the summer, if you keep your boat there over the winter. Tele 0030 2298023330
cheers bob t

<hr width=100% size=1>boss1

davidbains

Visit site
Tequilla, in the immediate Athens area you have very little chance of a berth especially during the Olympics. I agree Porto Heli and Poros are possible as is Lavrion and Rafti.
I however always take my boat back to the Ionian and lay up at Preveza Marine in the entrance to the gulf of Amvrakikos. The owner George Tsiligiris did marine engineering at Southampton university and speaks excellent english, and the yard runs on "english time!".
It depends during the Olympics whether you want to leave the boat unattended or can leave a competent "anchor watch". In that case there are various anchorages in the Athens area.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Neraida

www.neraida.org.uk
There are lots of marinas in the immediate vicinity (Alimos, Kalamaki, Zeas, Mikrolimano, Vouliagmeni, Glyfada to name but a few) but price wise the suggestion to go to Porto Heli is probably the best bet. You can get the fast ferry from Porto Heli, Ermioni, Aegina, Poros, Agkistri etc so most of the Argosaronic would be a good choice IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=wanted>Stuff Wanted </A>

franktheseadog

Visit site
I used to keep a boat in Lavrion but I wouldn't recommend it especially as it is expensive and the staff in marina reception are rude to the point of wanting to slap them. Two years ago they had not heard of Navtex and weather reports were non existant. My favourite Lavrion story concerns the now ex-marina boss (he was sacked eventually) whom, when I asked what the weather would be like tomorrow, said, "Sunny, fantastic, why worry, fantastic sunny weather...." etc. Next day it was Force 8.
I now keep my boat on the island of Patmos in the Dodecanese. Lovely little yard and very reliable - ask for Sosoz at Patmos Marine on 00 30 224 703 1903.
Porto Heli not bad but it's a bit of a beer n skittles place and noisy in high summer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PaulJ

Visit site
The only place I have been to in that area is Kalamaki, about 5 yrs ago to pick up a charter boat. All I would say is avoid it like the plague! It was jammed solid with charter boats, it was dirty and very, very noisy because of the airport and also night clubs in the area with loud music blasting out for half the night. Go anywhere but Kalamaki!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Hi I live in Poros for 6mts of the year, and agree that Porto Heli will appear a good place to keep a yacht ,but you here tales of Frank ,only looking AFTER there is a problem with a boat ,also a little heavy handed with the crane on lift out /in .
cheers bob t

<hr width=100% size=1>boss1

yachttequilla

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. Working on some options now but slow moving as I wait for responses to email/faxes.

Cheers

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

yachttequilla

Visit site
The final outcome of this deliberation is that we are booked to stay in Zea marina for approx £65pn for 13.5m yacht. Not cheap but given it's August and the Olympics we're happy to be close to the action and public transport to get to the venues for events itself. Staying further away and using ferries would make for long days with 2 children.

At writing there is still space for anyone else heading to the Olympics - otherwise I guess everyone is keeping well clear of the area anyway!

<hr width=100% size=1>

rrees

www.cruisinglogs.org.uk
Hi

We had our boat in the Souzaki boat yard last winter
Good compond with security 24/7
They even allowed us to work on the boat and use some of thier facilities
send us a PM and I will send you our number so I can tell you more

RR

<hr width=100% size=1>

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
Hi Steve
We live in Aegina close to Athens. My advice to you is to forget about marinas near Athens during the Olympics. Kalamaki will be all but closed due to massive security and a lot of the Athens boats are moving to the islands for the summer.
Lavrion is a possibility - marina very expensive but you can berth in port if you'll be around. Porto Kheli is a long way to go. How big is your boat? if its reasonably small I may be able to make a suggestion.
Re where to leave it. There are three boayards on Aegina, and I'd recommend two of them. If you email me details of your boat and how long you want to leave it I'll get you a quote.
Porto Kheli also okay, but Aegina is nearer.
Cheers
Melody

<hr width=100% size=1>Melody McKay Burton
Yacht Valentine, Greece

Visit site
Airport

Now moved to Spata, Vouliagmeni now gets the overflights spoiling this otherwise bustling floating bordello!

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

Visit site
I only just noticed your post today.

We are currently in Kalamaki and wanting to move. I tried all the marinas in the Athens area and none would consider anything until after the games. We have taken an annual berth at Gouvia, Corfu now. Glad to be away from Athens for the games. One charter company intends to move 60 boats to Kalamaki as dormitories for the games period. That of course means 120 loos discharging and 60 water hoses pulling supplies and 60 diesels running for hot water and all this times the number of other charter companies taking the same idea.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion