Aspen Fuel

steve66

N/A
Visit site
Hi, has anyone had spark plug issues after using Aspen 4 stroke fuel for prolonged periods?
I have just repaired 2 identical 2.3hp Hondas both owned by the same person bit he with identical issues . Basically both engines start perfect and stop dead after a few seconds.....no spluttering just dead stop. Checked plug and no spark. Replaced with new plug in both engines which cured the issue. . Never ever seen the same symptoms and the first engines I have seen solely run on Aspen

LiftyK

Visit site
Aspen is a long life fuel. Use it to stop gumming up after periods of non use of the engine. My mate swears by it despite the high price. I prefer to add Stabil to my petrol.

The comment about engineers not liking it is, I believe, humour. They don’t like it as there is less repair work to do. That’s how I read it.

burgundyben

Visit site
My chainsaw and strimmer seem to like the Aspen 2. I dont use them a lot and despite months of sitting unused they start and run very well.

Not tried Aspen 4.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Thanks for your reply - I've always use Honda additive in my Honda 2.3 and never have any problems. Don't bother draining the fuel at layup and always starts 2nd pull in the spring. Also used on my Honda lawn mower without any problems. Also used in my strimmer.

steve66

N/A
Visit site
Please note this thread is not in any way devaluing or criticising Aspen....Simply the exact same issue in two outboards that I have not encountered before with the common denominator being Aspen fuel

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Please note this thread is not in any way devaluing or criticising Aspen....Simply the exact same issue in two outboards that I have not encountered before with the common denominator being Aspen fuel

Agreed. I'm trying to understand how it is different in a practical sense, since there are limited specs and expereince out there (I'm a chem engr. so I understand about alkylates and gasoline specs).

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
The other common denominator is the owner. Perhaps he is doing something else with them that he has omitted to tell you.

BabaYaga

Visit site
A mixture of long chain hydrocarbons and snake oil.
My understanding is that Aspen and other alkylate petrol, besides any benefits to the engine, also contain zero or very low levels of benzene and other aromatic hydrocarbons, harmful to health and the environment. Especially important in outboards, lawn mowers, chain saws etc where emission control is poor and the operator is likely to inhale the exhaust fumes.
So why do you say it is snake oil?

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I would not say it contains snake oil. But there is more than a little puffing in the advertising and the price. The actual cost of the fuel is probably 30% more than petrol AND there are no road taxes on it, so the actual cost of the content of the can is probably lower than regular petrol. It should cost no more than an inexpensive solvent.

Isn't the UK petol pool mostly ethanol-free? Just buy ethanol-free petrol. There is very little real-world performance difference vs. ethanol free. E10, on the otherhand, has some problems (which is about 97% of the US petrol pool).

Slowboat35

Visit site
I too had never heard of it, and after a couple of minutes research can see why it is all but unknown.

What on earth would get into anyone's head to pay £7 per litre for premixed 2 stroke, or £25 for 5 litres? On Amazon it's even worse, if you can believe that, all but £40 for 5 litres inc delivery, which I struggle to understand as couriers delivering petrol seems as unbelieveable as the price. I looked at three websited before realising it wasn't a printing mistake, which I was of course certain it had to be.

I'm simply gobsmacked at the insanity of paying 5-6 times the going rate for anything - how the digamma do they get away with it?

Can anyone explain why anyone would submit to such a breathtaking ripoff? WHY????