Ash blocks

sarabande

Visit site
do you fancy whittling your own ? :) I have some decent chunks of ash lurking around the sawmill.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
do you fancy whittling your own ? :) I have some decent chunks of ash lurking around the sawmill.

Thanks for the offer, I certainly would get great satisfaction from learning to make them, but I'm so busy doing essential fit out jobs which I can't buy off the shelf. Filled up the FW tanks yesterday and one had a split, so rearranging plumbing just now, it's one thing after another. The auto bilge pump works very powerfully! I still have about 250 l in the tanks anyway so no hurry to mend the split. The original tanks were copper, I could have soldered the split in under half an hour, now I've got to mess about researching plastic glue etc.
The FW tanks are the only important bits made of plastic, and the only thing that's broken..

sarabande

Visit site
the tanks will probably be HDPE (high density poly ethylene - food grade)

The easiest method is to 'weld' them using HDPE rods or thin slices cut off a chopping board (Pound shop = good for this), and a carefully applied hair dryer or heat gun. Tack weld first, then seam. HDPE welding is at 300C, and it's relatively easy with a bit of practice (i.e. if I can do it, then anyone can !)

Milk bottles are made of HDPE so there's a cheap source of material, too. Don't get the temp too high, as the material will harden and not stay flexible.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
Thanks I will look into it (through the inspection hatch ho ho), there is a Tek Tank next to it which would not split in a million years, being ten times the thickness and internally braced.

johna

Visit site
I have sent you a PM but now found how to add pics.

These are the blocks I have. Are they what you are looking for? They are marked C & G Ltd 744 and the Gov Arrow.
P1020089.jpgP1020090.jpg

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
Hi Johna, thanks very much for the photos, but they appear to have the spindle running through the wood, rather than an internal metal frame, I don't think they're for me because I would just break them..many thanks anyway, Jerry.