Ascension Island photo story

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
Our last entry was from Saint Helena, from there Kiwi Roa was headed transatlantic, stopping over at Ascension Island...

Ascension Island Photo Story

og-ascension.171012.jpg

Two pages of photos. Enjoy, and subscribe to email updates from the website directly if you're interested in future stories. We'll be working through the North Atlantic from one hemisphere to the other.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
"Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still."

Does the date matter? ;)

If a trip made years ago is being presented as a current one, reported live, then yes, I think it does. At the very least it should be made clear that what is being shown is not what is there now.

Cheery

Visit site
The first place I ever flew to (on the way further south). Just as well it turned out I wasn't afraid of flying!

D

Deleted member 36384

Thanks for sharing. I cannot imagine going to places like that, and then not going ashore.

I could, an ugly place from the photos. Maybe ashore to stretch my legs but I could not be bothered with the scenery.

Greg2

Visit site
Interesting photos. I first saw that view in ‘82 and again in ‘83 - anchored off on both occasions for re-supply on our way further south. I particularly recall the abundance of Tiger fish (kind of saltwater piranha) which made helming the seaboat (at that time a small inflatable Gemini) a tad uncomfortable - particularly the last bit when alongside our ship and having to climb a rope to get back onboard.

Last edited:

Cheery

Visit site
A few of my mates did those dates. I sensibly waited for a decent runway to be built down at the bottom of the Atlantic and went in on the second ever flight. Prince Andrew was on the first a few days before to open it.