Are Volvo Penta in the real world

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Reading the responses in my oil change thread prompted me to read my KAD32 maintenance manual supplied originally with the boat.

Looking at the maintenance schedule I asked myself the question 'What planet do these guys live on'. I attach a scanned copy and ask myself given the difficulty with engine access on most boats and the effort required just to lift the hatch who on earth (excluding the OCD Brigade) checks their engine oil and coolant level every day before use. Look also at the 14 day checks !.

I am very DIY minded and do 90 % of work on my house, cars, Motorbikes, Toy Planes, and boats etc myself..... How would any less hands on person do all the checks in the time scales detailed in this schedule.

This leaves me thinking are they in the real world and can we believe most of their maintenance advice

EPSON011.jpg

superheat6k

Visit site
Their procedures are their's to dictate as far as warranty is concerned and thereafter to advise upon. However, they do not tell boat builders where or how to install them. I treat these lists as advisory, as in practice each and every user will be different, as will their experience and capability. But if you only get to the boat once a month, simply hopping aboard, starting her up and slipping the berth without some cursory engine checks first is asking for trouble.

julians

Visit site
I dunno,most of the daily and 14 days checks listed there don't seem too onerous to me, most of them can be accomplished by a simple look at the level in a translucent reservoir without needing to touch anything apart from open the engine hatch.

I don't check the oil level and coolant every day of use, but I probably do end up checking them at least every 14 days.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Other than this I’m not going to waste my time with an answer .
With your recent posts on Russ thread are you sure this forum is for you BP.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Other than this I’m not going to waste my time with an answer .
With your recent posts on Russ thread are you sure this forum is for you BP.

I think that is for me to decide...….. Given your connections to VP you have of course got a vested interest and perhaps wish to stifle debate...…… Incase you don't understand it is called freedom of speach

If you don't like what I post put me on block or don't read it ……. That is up to you of course

superheat6k

Visit site
I think that is for me to decide...….. Given your connections to VP you have of course got a vested interest and perhaps wish to stifle debate...…… Incase you don't understand it is called freedom of speach

If you don't like what I post put me on block or don't read it ……. That is up to you of course
I think your comments here regarding Volvopaul are slightly wide of the mark. Paul is amongst the most respected of professional contributors on here, and despite his forum name he is completely independent of Volvo Penta. Your banter generally is one thing I personally like, but making your comments more personal is considerably less attractive.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I have always checked oil and coolant levels on every boat I’ve owned before every day of use.

I thought that was normal? Also a good reason only to consider boats where these checks and engine access was relatively easy.

Bouba

Visit site
I would be happy to buy a boat off most of the forumites, because they look after their engines according to specifications. But I think it’s very good that those who don’t should advertise the fact:encouragement:

Momac

Visit site
I thought that was normal? .

It is the correct thing to do.

People are perhaps lulled by the relative reliability of modern cars leading to a general lack of need for driver input and wrongly translating this into the same philosophy to be applied to boats .

A car breakdown would be inconvenient. A boat breakdown could be altogether more serious. This in itself substantiates a need for regular checks.

tico

Visit site
Yup,every day before use...oil, coolant, belt tension, throttle cable, etc good look around engines and engine bay for anything amiss. Perhaps that's why our boat has a reputation for reliability

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I think your comments here regarding Volvopaul are slightly wide of the mark. Paul is amongst the most respected of professional contributors on here, and despite his forum name he is completely independent of Volvo Penta. Your banter generally is one thing I personally like, but making your comments more personal is considerably less attractive.

Perhaps my comments were in reply to him having a pop at me...………. Does his so called status on here allow that with no come back, is that what you are saying

Helpful and knowledgeable he certainly is...….. God he is not

ICTM

Visit site
It is the correct thing to do.

People are perhaps lulled by the relative reliability of modern cars leading to a general lack of need for driver input and wrongly translating this into the same philosophy to be applied to boats .

A car breakdown would be inconvenient. A boat breakdown could be altogether more serious. This in itself substantiates a need for regular checks.

My thoughts exactly. Oil and coolant checked every day before I go out and a glance around at belts and filter bowls etc. Takes moments.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
My thoughts exactly. Oil and coolant checked every day before I go out and a glance around at belts and filter bowls etc. Takes moments.

On many boats there is some form of floor covering over the engine hatch. On my Sealine S24 for example doing these checks would mean taking out all the rear seating and then lifting the hatch. I suspect many with this type of arrangement are not doing as suggested

Greg2

Visit site
I tend to do regular checks on the engines because, as already said, the consequences of something going wrong could be significant. I am probably a little more relaxed when on the river but when on sea trips I always do pre-sail checks.

I also err on the side of caution regarding servicing so do things annually regardless of wether or not we have accrued the advised hours for things like oil changes. Fuel filters are changed at least annually and often more frequently e.g. before a long sea trip simply because I want to reduce the risk of problems.

Good maintenance equals good seamanship in my view :)

Last edited:

ICTM

Visit site
On many boats there is some form of floor covering over the engine hatch. On my Sealine S24 for example doing these checks would mean taking out all the rear seating and then lifting the hatch. I suspect many with this type of arrangement are not doing as suggested

I am well aware that on some boats it is not as straightforward and had I chosen a boat with this arrangement it would be factored into the decision making process. Not checking simple things before venturing out on the open sea is lazy at best. When I have my family and friends on my boat their safety is my responsibility. A simple break down at sea can escalate very quickly into something much worse . IMHO of course.

Just a quick thanks to Volvopaul and the other valued contributors on this forum. It is their knowledge that makes it such a valuable resource.

Other threads that may be of interest