Are there and good looking boat toilets?

tim_ber

Visit site
Just watched the film "The Boat".

Great looking boat in so many ways, but then they showed the loo and it looked like the bog (Ha) standard, Jabsco plastic thing.

Are there better looking, easy to use loos out there that don't cost over £1k?

I have never had trouble with my jabsco. but it just looked wrong on such a good looking boat in the film.

Hadenough

Visit site

Great looking boat in so many ways, but then they showed the loo and it looked like the bog (Ha) standard, Jabsco plastic thing.

I have never had trouble with my jabsco. but it just looked wrong on such a good looking boat in the film.
And I couldn’t figure out why he didn’t use the flushing rod mechanism to pry open the door, they are easy enough to dismantle ?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
He didn't have a Twist and Lock Jabsco which disturbed me for much of the film. :(

He also raised the mainsail through a halyard jammer at the mast but dropped it by cutting a line through a jammer near the cockpit. :unsure:

Richard

Elessar

Visit site

Tecma. Not over £1000, but about that and worth it.

Visit site
This is the first time that I've come across anyone concerned with the aesthetics of a lavatory, availability in a hurry occasionally but then it was to sit on not to look at.

tim_ber

Visit site
This is the first time that I've come across anyone concerned with the aesthetics of a lavatory, availability in a hurry occasionally but then it was to sit on not to look at.
Watch the film.

Recessed alloy cleats.

Great toerail.

Superb woodwork. Open the solid wooded door with a stainless steel door knob and THEN a facefull of cheap, white, plasticy flip-pity switch cheapo jabsco toilet.

Just not on.

Beneteau boat I think. :)

MapisM

Visit site
Not seen them before.
Then you must have been distracted.
Tecma was widely recognized as the leader in this field, not only from a design, but also from a functional standpoint.
OTOH, I'm using the past because after the company was sold to Thetford some years ago by their (Italian) owners, some folks from the original team founded a new company called Planus, which is yet again becoming the most popular choice among top builders.
Don't expect cheap products, though. You get what you pay for.

Elessar

Visit site
Good looking means easy to clean. No nooks and crannies. That is worthwhile and looking good is a bonus.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

Function is better than looks on a boat. It is not as if you spend a lot of time on there.

Arcady

Visit site
How timely! I was researching this improbable subject just yesterday :)

What I have failed to find though, are any manually operated toilets that look as good as the Tecma/Planus type. Imagine if you will, a Lavac, designed to be set against a vertical bulkhead. That - in my view - would be ideal.

Are electric flush versions too power hungry? Are they a practical proposition for a crushing 40' yacht with no generator and no shore power mooring? Yes - I know I could do the maths if I had the tech specs, but I'm lazy, and curious as to other people's experience.

Elessar

Visit site
How timely! I was researching this improbable subject just yesterday :)

What I have failed to find though, are any manually operated toilets that look as good as the Tecma/Planus type. Imagine if you will, a Lavac, designed to be set against a vertical bulkhead. That - in my view - would be ideal.

Are electric flush versions too power hungry? Are they a practical proposition for a crushing 40' yacht with no generator and no shore power mooring? Yes - I know I could do the maths if I had the tech specs, but I'm lazy, and curious as to other people's experience.
The current draw is high but the use is so intermittent it pales into insignificance compared with a fridge. Even so every little helps if you are continuously sailing I guess. I don’t have to worry about battery management.

Frank Holden

Visit site
Function is better than looks on a boat. It is not as if you spend a lot of time on there.
Really....?
Do not ask how this came my way today...

Well now that you do ask... it came via the TV 'Horrible Histories' show which had the sub story on it.. isn't lockdown a wonderful thing...

Scroll down to the' bog on the boomer' pics ... comes with a magazine rack

Submarine Toilets / Toilets of the World