Are Harbour Masters gona be disrespected after Virus ?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Ah well yes might be so, BUT I challenged the Exe HM where it was posted about the Authority Lock Down Rules virtually banning the use of Boats and Harbours (sanctuaries) in that river; basically my thrust was that he as a Habour Master should surely be championing the use of Boats and upholding the virtues of Boating as a healthy pastime of value to those who so indulge; rather that apparently stating that Boating does not carry any excersise value so is not allowed not no more in his teritory ?

I stated that the (OUR) Govt makes the Rules etc so best if he leaves the Govt to state the Rules and he ,as HM points us in that direction not try and restate rules as he thinks or understands them .; which is a thankless task as the Rules will constantly ammended , restated revised and so on, ad infiniteum ?

Re taking on a Harbour Master about his decisions etc; well in my past I have done so with varying degrees of success and failure; a sort of Win some and Loose some; just a case of picking one's arguments and deciding tackticks; in my favour {:)#
Was this a very recent conversation with the Exe HM, ie since this latest lockdown?

I’ve had several emails from Dart HM in the past 2 days saying all sailing and mobo activity is banned, but seen nothing from Exe HM, where I still have a boat on a mooring.

pessimist

Visit site
Was this a very recent conversation with the Exe HM, ie since this latest lockdown?

I’ve had several emails from Dart HM in the past 2 days saying all sailing and mobo activity is banned, but seen nothing from Exe HM, where I still have a boat on a mooring.

Gets to be even more fun. We've also had the same emails telling us the river is closed. Today we had a request for payment for this year's mooring. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Adios

Visit site
Bingo! We have a fine example in the Yealm HM doing exactly that (assuming they stick to it). It would be great if some of us emailed them to tell them what a great example they are for other HMs to follow. In case they get cold feet.
I've just maybe realised why Yealm is doing it differently. Its a local harbour for local people. No one outside the area can moor there so none of their customers will be travelling far. Still they could have a ban of visiting boats but don't mention that.

Adios

Visit site
Gets to be even more fun. We've also had the same emails telling us the river is closed. Today we had a request for payment for this year's mooring. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Send them this link and ask them why Dart harbour think they can create legislation that goes beyond Her Majesty's Government's legislation. News (COVID-19) | River Yealm Harbour Authority

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I've just maybe realised why Yealm is doing it differently. Its a local harbour for local people. No one outside the area can moor there so none of their customers will be travelling far. Still they could have a ban of visiting boats but don't mention that.
Not quite. There are 2 visitors pontoons. But more to the point, I believe the Yealm HM works short winter hours and is not expected to be on the water. His job was advertised a few years back, I was quite tempted.........but reality won.
I do like their announcement, short and to the point.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Different HM, same mixed messages! When does the new permanent appointment start?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Billy is sound, if it's who I think you mean, but I haven't pulled in there since lockdown and I can imagine him being a stickler for rules and regulations.
But sometimes strictness is justified: Jetskis tread quietly, and fear his wrath :)

Billy has moved to Langstone Harbour.

Harry is HM now.

And doing a good job in difficult times.

chriss999

sailing-chinee.com
Well having read various Harbour Master's prohibition notices over the last year, I get the impression that this Pandemic has really stretched their Brain powers and in particular their Political Acumen and abilitys far beyond their limit's

Often the Harbour Master has appeared to fall back upon Boat and Ship Building Authorities and similar Vested Interests for guidence in drafting the Port Authority guidences to clients and users . Surely these vested interest parties are Not our Govt or have any real knowledge or experience in Virus control or can effectively guide anyone impartially over the Virus rules as applied to Harbour uses ?

So when the Virus has mainly passed us by and some degree of normality in water bourne activities and pastimes has resumed, how will we or you reguard the Harbour Master, you know the one that probably went over and beyond the Govts rules and requests so preventing you get your spiritual and healthy activities ?

Might also add how will you treat that Boatyard or Marina manager or such who spouted the mantra - you leave it to us, stay at home, just pay us to do the jobs that you wanted to do but we prevented you from so doung ? Maybe not in strick alignment with our Govt ecommendations at all ?

No.
I plan to treat them with the same respect as before, and I imagine that it will be reciprocated.

Adios

Visit site
Their Notice to Marinas, which ignoring the chaff, does not contain any specific prohibition of sailing or motor boats. The only thing it appears to do is close their scrubbing grids to pleasure craft.

LNTM 03-21 COVID-19 Compliance - Dart Harbour
EXCELLENT!! Today's notice is significantly better than yesterdays which you can read in google cache LNTM 02-21 COVID-19 Compliance - Dart Harbour

Everything I was complaining about here https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/sailing-allowed-in-lockdown.553183/post-7500978 is gone. Quite a lot of other people were complaining on the forum and they sent out emails to berth holders saying the river is closed as per that notice so i expect they got a significant ear full and saw sense. No other conceivable reason they'd backtrack. Got to love that.

rotrax

Visit site
This being the one who rivals Weymouth for the most miserable harbour master of the year by not opening their visitors pontoon at all this year?

The closing of the visitors pontoon was, IMHO, a sensible move.

If the visitors pontoon was open the showers and toilets would need hourly cleaning at increased costs, and, of course, the visitors might be carrying the virus.

Several vessels in need of safe haven have used the visitors pontoon, as was sensible and prudent.

You might not like it but the decision was no doubt made by the Harbour Board, a non profit body set up by act of Parliament.

The Harbourmaster no doubt had an input but it would not have been his decision alone.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
EXCELLENT!! Today's notice is significantly better than yesterdays which you can read in google cache LNTM 02-21 COVID-19 Compliance - Dart Harbour

Everything I was complaining about here Sailing allowed in lockdown is gone. Quite a lot of other people were complaining on the forum and they sent out emails to berth holders saying the river is closed as per that notice so i expect they got a significant ear full and saw sense. No other conceivable reason they'd backtrack. Got to love that.

I haven't YET seen any authorities actual prohibit small craft but we may have a clearer picture by the end of the week

The closing of the visitors pontoon was, IMHO, a sensible move.

If the visitors pontoon was open the showers and toilets would need hourly cleaning at increased costs, and, of course, the visitors might be carrying the virus.

Several vessels in need of safe haven have used the visitors pontoon, as was sensible and prudent.

You might not like it but the decision was no doubt made by the Harbour Board, a non profit body set up by act of Parliament.

The Harbourmaster no doubt had an input but it would not have been his decision alone.

The problem is if everywhere banned visiting craft then where would we all go? There are only so many open anchorages, particularly on the South Coast.

I can think of at least one other place that while their berth holders have presumably been out visiting other harbours they refused to accept visitors themselves. Clearly it is up to them but I don't think it is very helpful.

Last edited:

Adios

Visit site
Ah that's quite funny. Unlike other old notices that are still there Dart harbour have deleted notice 02-21, so they must have realised how badly misjudged it was. Its a massive relief frankly, hopefully whatever convinced them will spread to all areas.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Ah that's quite funny. Unlike other old notices that are still there Dart harbour have deleted notice 02-21, so they must have realised how badly misjudged it was. Its a massive relief frankly, hopefully whatever convinced them will spread to all areas.
I suspect asking for harbour dues from approx 1000 customers at the same time elicited pretty challenging questions. It would have been interesting being a fly on the wall in the DHNA offices both yesterday and today.

Capt Popeye

Visit site

Hi there Mr Long John, thank you yes a couple of days ago; the Official EXE management with Harbour Master posted a notice on face book (where they oft so do) I was annoyed so replied before his ink was dry, so to speak

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Hi there Mr Long John, thank you yes a couple of days ago; the Official EXE management with Harbour Master posted a notice on face book (where they oft so do) I was annoyed so replied before his ink was dry, so to speak
I don’t really do Facebook on, where do I need to look to see whats been said?

rotrax

Visit site
I haven't YET seen any authorities actual prohibit small craft but we may have a clearer picture by the end of the week

The problem is if everywhere banned visiting craft then where would we all go? There are only so many open anchorages, particularly on the South Coast.

We managed twelve days in October, only three days alongside, one on our clubs amenity berth in Gosport, two on the Dan Brand pontoon. One night on a club mooring in Poole harbour, one on the HM pontoon in Emsworth, the rest on the hook here and there.

Never used shoreside facilities/ toilets/showers or ate out.

Too dangerous for a pair of 70 + year olds.

Stay home.

The main thrust of tier 5 is - DONT TRAVEL!

Tomahawk

Visit site
The first set of regulations was very clear... a port could only be closed upon application the the SoS on grounds of threat to national security from terrorism.

Didn’t stop jumped up peak caps throwing their weight about like little tyrants.

Last edited:

rotrax

Visit site
But the Port of Littlehampton, and no doubt many others did not shut.

Cargo, Pilot, fishing and maintenance vessels continued to work. Some leisure areas closed, pontoons, slipways, toilet and shower blocs. Although I was pissed off, I agree with the concept and with the reasons.

Limiting people moving around the country and keeping them separate from each other helps keep this awful disease under control.

It sounds like you do not agree.

rickwales

Visit site
We have a Harbour Authority alongside pontoon mooring.

Our particular Harbourmaster - so far - has been a paragon of virtue.

The Harbour Authority post their interpretation of the rules online, physicaly and by email to bertholders.

We have had no quarrel with their imposed covid lockdown regulations.

Because in the serious situation the country is facing they makes perfect sense.
My wife has just fortunately nearly recovered from Covid, I am fortunately halfway through what appears a mild dose of Covid but I know of many people who haven’t been so fortunate, in the first lockdown I wrote to ministers about boating being a safe activity and healthy low Risk activity from a spreading virus point of view. And genuinely felt that was a reasonable approach, shortly after a local decides to host 10 people on his fly bridge with no social distancing right in front of harbour officials. Personally I think we need to stay isolated until the virus is more under control as it’s clearly totally out of control at present, to do anything else I feel is foolhardy