Ardrossan yesterday afternoon

AndieMac

Visit site
You must have been parked alongside the ferry berth, what sort of wind strength's keep the ship from sailing?

Do you keep your Targa in the inner harbour marina?

Al Dickson

Visit site
Caledonian Isles

Certainly that F9 did !

The Cally Isles was sheltering over at Brodick Pier and not surprisingly never moved all day.

I have been on her in a F6 in winter but in the summer when she's fully loaded with well over 1000 people maybe the limit is less.

Apart from when there are storms like Monday, her sailings in heavy weather have been quite tricky to predict over the years and some Captains seem braver than others.

Certain wind directions can cause problems getting her into Ardrossan & she ends up going all the way up to Gourock.

I think the tricky bit is getting through the gap in that breakwater & the lighthouse in anything with a lot of North / South in it (or indeed West up her chuff) without having so much way on she can't stop in time to swing into the pier.

Equally when leaving in strong N or S winds I have seen her reverse close round the pier right back to the outer basin so she can take a run at the gap !

Very low tides, high pressure and strong westerlies also leave her very little water at Brodick.

Anyway we try not to get in her way when coming and going from the marina - ignoring the red lights will usually earn a good shouting at from the man at harbour control with the loud hailer !

zingaro

Visit site
http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv10/Eastbrae/?action=view&current=VIDEO0016.mp4

Storm gates shut but blowing so hard the pontoons were at about 30 degrees from the pressure of the boats

Waves breaking over the lighthouse at the end of the pier - normally 11m above MHWS

Didn't fancy it at all - even in a Targa

Alan

I was in Largs marina on Sunday,we were hoping to use the boat, winds in the marina on Monday were gusting at 64 Knots, Yachts were healing over in the marina as the wind was a southerly which was on there beams, a lot of sails unfurled themselves which kept the staff busy, even though we were on nearly neap tides with a combination of low pressure and the wind at high water the hight of tide in the marina was extremely high more like you would see on spring tide, we heard that Hunterson Power station registered a gust of 82 Knots.