Ardrossan V Fairlie

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
reckon your cheapest is probably Port Bannatyne on Bute.

Transport works well as local bus connects to Rothesay ferry which in turn is timed to the Glasgow train. Its one of these old victorian terminals where you walk right off the ferry onto the platform

you could also winter in the water in the inner harbour at Rothesay for circa £600. One bus less in the transport links above

Ask Gordonmc - he there for a while last winter. That would open up winter sailing!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
reckon your cheapest is probably Port Bannatyne on Bute.

Transport works well as local bus connects to Rothesay ferry which in turn is timed to the Glasgow train. Its one of these old victorian terminals where you walk right off the ferry onto the platform

you could also winter in the water in the inner harbour at Rothesay for circa £600. One bus less in the transport links above

Port Bannatyne Marina also does a good winter deal, for about the same. However I have already sung the praises of the Brandane yachting experience and Dylian is unmoved.

starboard

Visit site
I would consider Troon. Though I guess I am biased as I live here. I kept my last boat here for about 10 years before I sold her. The guys in the yard are OK and certainly do a good job of chocking the boat up using wooden props and chocks. But if this is the case your mast must come down. If you have your own cradle you can leave your mast up.
Parts of the hard standing are a bit rough and prone to standing water at times but shelter from the at times ferocious winds is good.
Troon have a 24 hour security system and the marina has both good shower facilities, chandlery and a couple of boat repair companies on site. The town of Troon is nice with a good few pubs and restaurants, one being at the marina itself.
Morrisons supermarket only a 5 minute walk and the train station 10 minute walk with a regular 30 minute service to Glasgow. Prestwick airport only 10 minutes by taxi but sadly Ryanair no longer have a Stansted route but a Easy jet operate from Glasgow that is only a 40 minute train ride away.
If you fancy a Winter package I suggest you try to do a deal and don't necessary accept the advertised price......it's a competitive market with both Ardrossan and Largs close by so try a bit of bartering.
If you need more info drop me a PM and I will gladly point you in the right direction. 

Last edited:

Scomber

Visit site
hi - don't want to hijack thread but we too are looking to leave boat over winter so all great advice - whilst all you knowledgeable folk are gathered -are there any recommendations for further up clyde for secure hard standing where you can stay on board occasionally / power / water etc -thanks -we'll be needing to travel from lancs to boat then over to cupar fife to see family as well

awol

Visit site
hi - don't want to hijack thread but we too are looking to leave boat over winter so all great advice - whilst all you knowledgeable folk are gathered -are there any recommendations for further up clyde for secure hard standing where you can stay on board occasionally / power / water etc -thanks -we'll be needing to travel from lancs to boat then over to cupar fife to see family as well

A quick trip through the Clyde-Carron ditch and Grangemouth/Charleston/Port Edgar/Granton/etc. are available on the Forth. Means the family can get torn in to the anti-fouling etc.! (Aye, right!)

Storyline

Visit site
Also have a soft spot for Troon.
As regards selling Harmony I reckon the best course of action for a relatively low cost boat is to move her as close to the largest centres of population you can to make it easy for potential buyers to visit. How about a bash further south to somewhere like Maryport, close to a huge number of people from the Liverpool - Leeds corridor.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Also have a soft spot for Troon.
As regards selling Harmony I reckon the best course of action for a relatively low cost boat is to move her as close to the largest centres of population you can to make it easy for potential buyers to visit. How about a bash further south to somewhere like Maryport, close to a huge number of people from the Liverpool - Leeds corridor.

What about Preston? Easy to get to, cheap and a very friendly reputation.

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk

http://www.clydeboatyard.co.uk/

Ruff but I like it.

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
The mast can stay up. They prop up the boats with oil tanks and wooden props. It's a boat yard not a marina). There are liveabords in the yard, two years ago my neighbor was selling a motor cruiser after his son had lived in it while studying at the nautical college. He had planned to take it to the cannel, but it never left the yard. The toilets are a porta cabin, no showers but there is a a swimming pool in Clydebank.

Scomber

Visit site
hey thanks again-we're twin keel so no worries there -
The mast can stay up. They prop up the boats with oil tanks and wooden props. It's a boat yard not a marina). There are liveabords in the yard, two years ago my neighbor was selling a motor cruiser after his son had lived in it while studying at the nautical college. He had planned to take it to the cannel, but it never left the yard. The toilets are a porta cabin, no showers but there is a a swimming pool in Clydebank.

redfish

Visit site
Interesting pricing structure (http://www.clydeboatyard.co.uk/pricelist.html):

£75.00 per metre (Inc. lifts & wash) £90.00 per metre (Exc. lifts & wash)

Even allowing for the obvious mistake, that's pretty expensive by Clyde standards, though perhaps Glaswegians pay for the convenience.

Think you may be looking at the list from the wrong angle Jumbleduck.......vessels 5.6m-16.4m are £75 per meter which includes lifts and wash ....vessels over 16.5m are £90 per meter but this doesn't include lifts etc for obvious reasons. Its clearly marked at the top of the pricing structure....and yes...I think Glaswegians (and smart people) do pay for the convenience of having a facility this close to the city...keeping my boat at Fairlie or Ardrossan meant a huge drive before I could even start work on it and lo if I had forgotten anything it was a huge drive back!! Ruff it maybe...but its friendly and relaxed and the staff are helpful, courteous and go the extra mile to make you welcome. Ruff it maybe but they aren't too precious when it comes to getting work done on your boat! Don't knock it till you have tried it! Just saying.

redfish

Visit site
hey thanks again-we're twin keel so no worries there -
think they have changed their criteria a wee bit this year...if the boat needs a cradle and you don't have one (they have some but first come first served) the mast has to come down. there is a shower..its between the male and female toilet (portacabin) I know...Ive used it!