Aquasignal Masthead Tricolour advice

scruff

Visit site
Our Aquasignal tricolour + Anchor combo masthead light was noted as being quite cloudy and needing replaced earlier this season. This was reaffirmed by the thing getting blown off in a bit of a blow last month heading south in the Minch. I think we had this one installed Aqua Signal Series 40 Quickfit 12V Masthead Type Tricolor and Anchor Light

Now I never had a chance to go up the mast to check the damage, but I presume the lens casing has blown away leaving behind the base. Looking on the internet & it seems sensible to replace with an LED unit and looking at the modern equivalent; Aqua Signal Series 34 LED 12/24V Masthead Type Tricolour and Anchor Light

We didn't have plans to take down this winter so will be doing the job from a bosuns chair. Looking at the diagram, the holes look to be same spacing on the bases between both models.

Has anyone replaced an older incandescent aqua signal MHL with the newer one and is it a simple as unscrew old / screw in the new fitting? If it requires drilling out the top of the mast then it may well end up being a mast down job, which increases costs significantly, so will be replaced like for like to avoid...

Thanks

BabaYaga

Visit site
Our Aquasignal tricolour + Anchor combo masthead light was noted as being quite cloudy and needing replaced earlier this season. This was reaffirmed by the thing getting blown off in a bit of a blow last month heading south in the Minch. I think we had this one installed Aqua Signal Series 40 Quickfit 12V Masthead Type Tricolor and Anchor Light

Now I never had a chance to go up the mast to check the damage, but I presume the lens casing has blown away leaving behind the base. Looking on the internet & it seems sensible to replace with an LED unit and looking at the modern equivalent; Aqua Signal Series 34 LED 12/24V Masthead Type Tricolour and Anchor Light

We didn't have plans to take down this winter so will be doing the job from a bosuns chair. Looking at the diagram, the holes look to be same spacing on the bases between both models.

Has anyone replaced an older incandescent aqua signal MHL with the newer one and is it a simple as unscrew old / screw in the new fitting? If it requires drilling out the top of the mast then it may well end up being a mast down job, which increases costs significantly, so will be replaced like for like to avoid...

Thanks
If you are sure your present light has the quicfit base, you should be able to mount the proposed series 34 LED light fitting by just screwing it on the existing base, as explained here:
Upgrade to LED Navigation Lights with quicfits system - Glamox Recreational
(Apparently this will not work if the present base is pre 1997, as explained under the *).
I did such an upgrade from series 40 to LED about 10 years ago, although with the non-anchor light varieties of these lights and with LED series 32 rather than 34.
Still have the new, uninstalled quicfit base in my locker as a spare, as no reason to change it.
One thing to be aware of, though: The screws that clamp the incoming wires in the quicfit base are not stainless and will corrode with time (see photo). So bring a spray can to the mast top to try and delay the process. Meanwhile, fit stainless screws to the new base and replace when the mast comes down at some later date.
quickfit.jpg

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I've just replaced our AquaSignal Tri-white and I was tempted to leave the base in place. I didn't because the new LED one is while and the old one was black and I thought, "What's the point?" So I changed it and I was amazed that a) the screws came out and b) the screw holes in the new base were EXACTLY in the right position and I could just screw the new one in place. Miracle...

Last edited:

scruff

Visit site
Thanks, that's useful to know.

No idea of the actual age of the old unit - certainly pre 2012 when we bough the boat...

Pye_End

Visit site
Have also done the same change in 2013. My contact screws were also mild, and I replaced with stainless, but I think new lights now use stainless.

I too replaced the base as well, with the mast up. Don't recall any complications.

mikegunn

Visit site
I've just replaced our AquaSignal Tri-white and I was tempted to leave the base in place. I didn't because the new LED one is while and the old one was black and I thought, "What's the point?" So I changed it and I was amazed that a) the screws came out and b) the screw holes in the new base were EXACTLY in the right position and I could just screw the new one in place. Miracle...
I also changed mine for the latest LED offering earlier this year. My Aqua signal base, although a Kwikfit was too old to be compatible. Fortunately the mounting hole pitch is unchanged so no drilling was necessary to replace the complete assembly. Turned out to be a twenty minute job at the masthead.
Mike

SailorAleksi

Visit site
Hi all ! I'm looking at converting my quicfit 40 to LED, because it is ridiculous how much it drains the batteries really. As any sailor :), trying to figure out the cheap way to go. Practical Sailor made quite a good review about the marine beam LED tri-color anchor light combination bulb : LED Tri-Color and Anchor Light Combination Bulb
Anybody knows if there is a way to fit it in a quicfit 40, somehow ?
Thanks all !

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Hi all ! I'm looking at converting my quicfit 40 to LED, because it is ridiculous how much it drains the batteries really. As any sailor :), trying to figure out the cheap way to go. Practical Sailor made quite a good review about the marine beam LED tri-color anchor light combination bulb : LED Tri-Color and Anchor Light Combination Bulb
Anybody knows if there is a way to fit it in a quicfit 40, somehow ?
Thanks all !

Notre you have to make sure that the LED 'bulb' is not only the correct fitting for the socket in the base, but also the same orientation. This is different for different brands of tri-colour fitting, surprisingly. I bought one from Fox's that was specifically labelled for the brand I had (can't remember which that is, now), and they had them for other brands. Fortunately I was fitting when the mast was down, and almost by chance noticed that the orientation was wrong - the white LED was facing the red & green sectors of the lens, and vice versa.

Fox's refunded me without question, but alarmingly said 'Oh, yes. We've had a few like that'. :rolleyes: It would have been a real pain had I not noticed it before getting the mast put back up. As it is I was unable to get the correct 'bulb' in time, so I still have the old incandescent 'bulb' in the tri-colour, but have got an LED in the all-round white.

Rappey

Visit site
Some led lamps to replace the filament type came with an adapter base in order to get the correct orientation. I've often wondered why they didnt make the base on the led fit "out the box".
My aquasignal looked like it was falling off. Turned out the lower all round white had fractured right around the lower part of the lens.
I blame the birds! Currently held on with self amalgamating tape.
Do I buy another aqua signal or nasa ?

Dumpster

Visit site
I replaced the AS40 Tricolour/Anchor old bulbs with Led bulbs and it’s working perfectly for the last 5 years at least. Lens are still fine today.
The Quickfit base base has deteriorated and 2 mild steel screws in the connection block seized and sheered so needed a replacement. The part No is AS 12627095.
Found sources in Europe, Boatspares.ie have them. Currently their website won’t let you order online as it only set up for Ireland which they are trying to change. They will take telephone orders from UK.
Josboone.nl also will send to U.K. very efficiently and you can order online.
Spoke to ASAP and suggested they stock it too!
Hope this helps.

Dantp

Visit site
To confirm the older aquasignal bases have the same hole pattern.
I wasn't quite as lucky though as one of the stainless bolts holding it onto the aluminium masthead sheared while undoing it.
Fortunately the mast was down so could drill and retap.
Then use plenty of tefgel/duralac/lanolin as you prefer when fitting the new one.

rgarside

Visit site

Thanks
I replaced my Aqua-Signal Series 40 Quickfit incandescent Tri/White with the Series 34 LED Quickfit LED Tri/White a few years ago. The new one plugged straight onto the old base and works fine.