April 2017 Yachting Monthly - where are Tom and Libby?

RadiumRob

Visit site
I'm disappointed to see that my favourite contributors, Libby Purves and Tom Cunliffe, are missing from the April 2017 issue of YM, making it a more lightweight and less enjoyable read.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change?

claymore

Visit site
Didn't you know? They've been carrying on a long term affair with each other over the past 5 decades - well Tom has but the fragrant Libby started a bit later her only being about half his age. I think she was groomed. Anyway it all came to a bit of a head when Mr Libby - a.k.a. Old Varnish of this Parish decided against going off to the White Sea last November and this messed up loads of plans as you can well imagine. The Deadly Dick Durham suggested to Mr Libby that they embark on a gay relationship but there's only so much a man can take. Last I heard they were all in pieces on the cutting room floor.
Hope that helps.

martyn78

www.sail-malta.com
Didn't you know? They've been carrying on a long term affair with each other over the past 5 decades - well Tom has but the fragrant Libby started a bit later her only being about half his age. I think she was groomed. Anyway it all came to a bit of a head when Mr Libby - a.k.a. Old Varnish of this Parish decided against going off to the White Sea last November and this messed up loads of plans as you can well imagine. The Deadly Dick Durham suggested to Mr Libby that they embark on a gay relationship but there's only so much a man can take. Last I heard they were all in pieces on the cutting room floor.
Hope that helps.

Methinks you need help!!!

claymore

Visit site
Perhaps they are preparing an article on lassoing; coming astern; bow thrusting; surging; pooping; stern thrust; tweeking; winching (for Scottish viewers); and finally letting go....

Sounds like something to look forward to - I do hope they recommend a type of anchor......

BelleSerene

Visit site
I'm disappointed to see that my favourite contributors, Libby Purves and Tom Cunliffe, are missing from the April 2017 issue of YM, making it a more lightweight and less enjoyable read.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent change?

Aye: the magazine is weaker for the loss of each of them.

I hope it's only temporary.

doris

Visit site
Keiran, where are you

Just as we need you for a warm reassuring answer that the beloved Libby will be back, you are silent!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Re: Keiran, where are you

Actually they have probably gone caravaning for a couple of weeks round the Lake district.
Preparing for even older old age I am told.
Uncle Tom will soon bring a book out on where all the caravan sites are & how to get in & out of them at night, then a sequel on how to jack the caravan up on a sloping site
Libby will write articles on how to make the beds & what she did when the gas ran out

stevepick

Visit site

I noticed this too, and I am not impressed. I hope it isn't a permanent thing, that would turn me from subscriber to very occasional purchaser. How about a clarification YBW?

JumbleDuck

Visit site

Libby Purves is only a page, but Tom Cunliffe is normally half the magazine. How will they cope without him? Mind you, authors do fall out of favour - at one time all the currently-Cunliffe (or perhaps recently-Cunliffe) articles were written by John Goode until he was unceremoniously dumped.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site

That was John Goode, isn't it?

Ex-top man at Southern Sailing, ex-writer for PBO, ex-editor of Sailing Today?

General all round good guy?

John Goode, yes, you are quite right. I liked his articles. I can take or leave the Mr Cunliffe's, but perhaps that's because I've read them all about three times each now.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site

I think the real question is not where these ladies and gentlemen have gone but where are the up and coming folk who should be replacing them?

dk

Visit site

Since Time Inc UK has tried (unsuccessfully in the majority of cases) to force a preposterous rights agreement onto all of its regular contributors, prepare to see less from the professionals and more free content or that written by unpaid interns with zero experience.