Applying barnacle food, suitable rollers.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
That's the easy, expensive version. Mine, as an impoverished pensioner, is sitting on a concrete scrubbing grid between tides or, as now, in the club compound on just enough blocks to be roughly level and a few inches off the ground.
If grids were a "thing" here, I would know all about it too, but our tide is only about 1-foot (!) so we have to haul. Also, US law forbids, in any practical sense, working on antifouling in a tidal zone. Everything must be captured. Even boat washes are on special 100% capture concrete pads. No washing once the boat is moved to stands.

Momac

Visit site
I did the antifoul last weekend.
I found the 9 inch tiger tiger stripe roller the best tool and quite rapid coverage over larger areas with a mini roller and a brush for the fiddly bits .
The rollers and brush binned after completing the one coat job.
The finish from the larger 9 inch roller was superior to the mini foam roller . I have a very good extending pole but found it easier to not use that which did involve laying under the boat,
An old coat, gloves and safety glasses made it as comfortable as was reasonably possible.
A second coat, if required , would start with fresh rollers and brush.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 23.25.10.png

Zing

Visit site
Having just dived and cleaned my antifoul I can confirm that sewage is barnacle food. The biggest concentration of barnacles on the hull was next to the black tank toilet outlet thru-hull. Not surprising I suppose.

Momac

Visit site
Having just dived and cleaned my antifoul I can confirm that sewage is barnacle food. The biggest concentration of barnacles on the hull was next to the black tank toilet outlet thru-hull. Not surprising I suppose.
Thankfully I don't get barnacles or mussels or any other critters. The boat is kept on fresh water and visits salty water . But a fouling coating of something more like limescale with some fibres does develop and can impair performance slightly. Moving between salty and fresh water seems to help but eventually the antifoul loses its effectiveness just as might be expected.
I have a holding tank and no diverter valve so all toilet waste goes to the tank. The tank, when full, is pumped out only with the boat on the move. There was no extra fouling at the outlet which may be because the hull is washed by the movement of the boat after each tank discharge.

johnphilip

Visit site
You will probably need one more coat with a foam roller. They put the paint on thin. A solvent compatible roller should be fine.

I use mohair or 3/16-inch. Just one coat; who wants to start the 2nd coat with a lumpy roller? Also, the paint is expensive and it is counter productive to apply it unevenly with a worn or inexpensive roller of any type. Peanuts.
You do it your way, but I will stick with my system,

johnphilip

Visit site
Went for the Rota foam rollers, no longer in stock at Toolstation or a few others I tried bur Amazon came up with a bundle with 20 sleeves, so I am now offering at cost to anyone around Ipswich or boat at Levington.

William_H

Visit site
And one of these for cats and twin keelers

61kqFCWnfyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As long as you're on concrete. Not much good on sand though...
I bought something similar for under painting my trailer sailer while on trailer. Boat raised by about 10cm or more. It proved useless . Awkward to get onto. The raised height was a problem. Just as easy to slide around on my back. (on concrete)
This year (and in fact last year as well) barnacles have become the biggest problem. Tiny as I scrub at least weekly but they grow over a week. Weed doesn't get a chance but barnacles are crazy. A/F is now 5 months old. 6 more weeks to haul out for winter. Every barnacle takes off a/f.
ol'will