Applying antifoul - novice rookie question

wonkywinch

Visit site
On the basis there is no such thing as a daft question - I plan to apply antifoul next week when the boat is lifted. I see loads of used 4" rollers and trays lying around the marina indicating that is standard for application but is it possible to apply it with a 9" roller or is it just too heavy? A friends wife decorated their whole house using a 4" roller because she couldn't lift a loaded 9" one (ooh matron) but any reason not to use 9" for antifoul, surely it will be quicker?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
How big is your boat? 4” rollers go round all the curves, plus also don’t absorb half a tin of £130 antifoul before you start painting. Oh, and are available as foam, not pile, which is what you need.

wonkywinch

Visit site
How big is your boat? 4” rollers go round all the curves, plus also don’t absorb half a tin of £130 antifoul before you start painting. Oh, and are available as foam, not pile, which is what you need.
38 foot Beneteau Oceanis. Are you saying foam is what to use rather than short pile?

KevinV

Visit site
On the basis there is no such thing as a daft question - I plan to apply antifoul next week when the boat is lifted. I see loads of used 4" rollers and trays lying around the marina indicating that is standard for application but is it possible to apply it with a 9" roller or is it just too heavy? A friends wife decorated their whole house using a 4" roller because she couldn't lift a loaded 9" one (ooh matron) but any reason not to use 9" for antifoul, surely it will be quicker?
I used a 9" short pile roller for coppercoat, as recommended by them - the weight was knackering, a lot of product stayed in the roller and the bigger roller didn't actually speed things up much on a (in my case) small, curved hull. I'd hate to use one that big on a bigger boat.

James_Calvert

Visit site
I use a long handled 4" roller for antifouling, the type they sell to paint behind radiators. It cuts down how much you have to move, or crawl around, under the boat.

I've avoided sponge rollers ever since one dissolved whilst in use. Not all pile ones are immune from the solvents either, but at least they give some warning of becoming unusable.

Martin_J

Visit site
Same as many others.. 4" short pile rollers on long'ish handles (not six foot long but the type of length that would reach behind a radiator).

Light and easy to handle for a 38' boat.

Neeves

Visit site
38' catamaran - always used 9" pile roller. But a cat sits with the highest point an easy stretch as the draft is only 1m and the keels sit on the ground, or near enough. The weight of a paint filled roller is not an issue. Always made 2 coats, plus any paint left over used for 'leading' edges and waterline.. If you need to stop for overnight then store the roller in a plastic bag, it will not then dry out. When completed throw roller and tray away - not worth keeping.

If you use cheap masking tape it becomes a liability if left on overnight as the tape 'de-bonds' from its own adhesive overnight.

Jonathan

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I use aa 9" roller on a telescopic handle on a 50 ft 2.1 draft mono hull.

I use 20 lits to ant foul my boat with 2 coats all over and an extra coat on waterline and leading edges

Use old cloth's and tape a plastic bag on your head and use a mask to protect eyes and rubber gloves to keep hands clean

Boathook

Visit site
Short pile roller and erring to the 4" ones as they fit in smaller areas, etc. If large 'flat' surfaces a 9" is quicker but it does tend to waste a bit of antifoul. I tend to reuse the trays a few times but the roller bit is binned after use. As mentioned a plastic bag for overnight does keep the roller ok for the next day.
If using masking tape buy a reasonable quality one. Saves a lot of agro. I use a blue one from Brewers decorator centre.

Habebty

Visit site
I've always used a 9" roller with a short pile head on a telescopic pole, spray not being an issue unless one moves the head too quickly. I prefer not to stand underneath the roller for all the obvious reasons, hence the pole.
What I do as well - for last 20 years. Foam rollers always seem to "melt" with the solvent. B&Q do a good 600mm telescopic handle for 9" rollers. The short pile roller has the advantage of putting 2 coats on at once ;) . 1 1/2 tins Hempel Tiger Extra for my 29-0 bilge keeler.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Visit site
+1 for 9” roller with telescopic handle. I also agree that decent masking tape along the waterline is sensible. Fairly wide “frog” tape seems best in my experience.