Apollo Duck

doug748

Visit site
I am thinking of selling a couple of dinghies with them, anyone used Apollo Duck?
Are there any hidden charges, problems or good alternatives?
thanks

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
How does it compare with this Forum's For Sale section, or eBay?

I ask because I have an unused Torqeedo 1103C Electric Outboard Motor to sell which would exceed the measly £400 limit on this forum, and eBay takes a very large percentage of the selling price.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I've used Apollo Duck to sell a boat in the past and it worked out OK. From a prospective buyer's perspective their alerts system just doesn't seem to work which is a big negative.

B27

Visit site
It's the first place you look for racing dinghies.
Other stuff, I'm not so sure.
Gumtree and FB marketplace have their uses. There are also some more specific 'boat bits' pages on FB.
The trick with ebay is to make use of their occasional offers for £1 selling fees.

Davy_S

Visit site

I ask because I have an unused Torqeedo 1103C Electric Outboard Motor to sell which would exceed the measly £400 limit on this forum, and eBay takes a very large percentage of the selling price.
How much would your Electric Outboard motor be priced at if the £400 limit was raised? asking for a friend:)

steveeasy

Visit site
Apollo duck is great to advertise boats and you get good exposure for a small cost. Facebook market place is very good too and is free. Of course you can use both and get double the exposure.
Steveeasy

Ribtecer

Visit site
I sold a £10k Rib with ease on Apollo Duck.

I was not desperate and put it on the free advert thing as a starter and bang it went.

A little bit gutted, as I loved that boat.

dslittle

Visit site
It does seem a shame because £1,500 for an unused Electric Outboard would be a bargain for someone on here! but like you say you don't want to breach the forum rules, i will mention it to my friend, unless someone spots it first and sends you a PM.
The Forum rules are rules.
Unfortunately they stop me advertising my 8hp 2 stroke outboard with about 20 hours that I bought new in Alderney on here. I’m not keen on eBay so Gumtree is the way to go for local buyers!!!

Davy_S

Visit site
The Forum rules are rules.
Unfortunately they stop me advertising my 8hp 2 stroke outboard with about 20 hours that I bought new in Alderney on here. I’m not keen on eBay so Gumtree is the way to go for local buyers!!!
It does seem a shame, i have sold a couple of items through the forum with no problems at all, with eBay and Gumtree you can get some serious idiots, my cunning plan would be, raise the forum limit, but make 1% payable over a set amount and let YBW donate it to the RNLI, that way everyone benefits.

dslittle

Visit site
It does seem a shame, i have sold a couple of items through the forum with no problems at all, with eBay and Gumtree you can get some serious idiots, my cunning plan would be, raise the forum limit, but make 1% payable over a set amount and let YBW donate it to the RNLI, that way everyone benefits.
I have also bought and sold items through the Forum (under the limit) with great pleasure.
I have found Gumtree OK to use as interaction has been local and face to face so no problems.
eBay, on the other hand has had its problems !!!

I think that your idea of a 1% levy on more ´expensive´ items has merit and is certainly something which I would be very happy to support.

Poignard

Visit site
I would be happy to have a much higher, ie realistic, limit on sales here and to pay YBW for publishing my advertisements.

Just as I would be willing to pay a fee to any of the YBW group's magazines for inserting my classified advertisements.

Frogmogman

Visit site

Knowing that you keep your boat in France, I’d recommend Le bon coin for selling your outboard. Ads are free for private individuals, it’s a very popular app in this country.

Laser310

Visit site
As a buyer, I don't like Apollo Duck.
Too many of the listings are the same brokerage listings as on yachtworld.
If I want to see that stuff, I will just go to Yachtworld...
The for-sale-by-owner listings just get lost there.

shan

Visit site
I am thinking of selling a couple of dinghies with them, anyone used Apollo Duck?
Are there any hidden charges, problems or good alternatives?
thanks
I used it to sell a sailboat. I think I used the pay version (quite a few years ago) - I don't recall it being exorbitant. We got loads of interest and the advert came down pretty quickly. I would say make sure you have a lot of good photos and a comprehensive and detailed list about what you are selling.

ylop

Visit site
I would be happy to have a much higher, ie realistic, limit on sales here and to pay YBW for publishing my advertisements.

Just as I would be willing to pay a fee to any of the YBW group's magazines for inserting my classified advertisements.
I’ve always been surprised that there didn’t seem to be a paid advert option? Anyone know why the limit exists?