Apartment v Yacht in the med

dilly

Visit site
Afternoon guys and girls. I am looking to buy a yacht 40ft. Upto 53ft, but my wife wants a apartment
I want to use and keep it in the med and daysail from Marina to Marina And some Anchoring.
My budget is £100,000 .there are lots of yachts and apartments in that range.
Your experience and thoughts on the pros and cons.
Thanks David

Tranona

Visit site
Only you can decide that. Plenty of choice of either. Pros and cons are easy to work out, but only you can decide which are relevant to you. How would it help you to know what others did when they made the choice (if there ever was a choice to be made for both). They will only tell you what their reasons were.

Not being unhelpful, but you have asked this question before and there is not an answer that suits everyone.

My simple answer would be that if your wife wants an apartment and you want to keep your wife, there is no contest. Unless of course you want to see how much stress your marriage can stand then buy a boat.

RupertW

Visit site
Our rationale for apartment versus yacht is that if cheap flight airports change (and they do) then the price of an apartment plummets whereas the yacht can just move.

However the logic for the "investment" isn't the real reason of course. Although we do use our yacht as a floating home (just came back from a cold Thessaloniki but warm dry boat), the real reason is that we both like living and sailing on a boat with different towns and mostly anchorages to dive off from.

So if you wife isn't sold into living aboard after a warm charter or two, then it's apartment only, I think.

Davy_S

Visit site
Why not get the yacht and rent a pad, that way you are both happy, if you decide that you do not like the area, sail away and rent again. You are not committed to an area, where you may not easily sell the apartment, you simply move on without any worries.

dilly

Visit site
Not about being hesitant there are thousand of yachts and thousands of apartments for sale it's just choosing the right one to invest my money in

Wansworth

Visit site
You don't indicate your age which would have some Bering on your wires choice.,,, older women without experience of living on a boat in the med may not fully trust your plan as women tend to be down to earth........ rent a flat. Charter a boat and see how it goes and don't spend all the bloody money!!Q

charles_reed

Visit site
Scarcely an easy objective decision.
You'll get far more living area for your £ with apartment than yacht and maintenance would be less.
If you don't like sailing it's very difficult to justify a boat rather than apartment. Personally I look with schadenfreud upon those who've become thoroughly bored with just transferring their housework, somewhere that they don't understand the language, for sunshine that they find uncomfortably hot.
I don't take it for granted that my wife likes living on a boat - but she's the first to agree that she's seen places and enjoyed experiences she'd never have expected, thanks to the boat.

rivonia

Visit site
We originaly had a yacht built. Lived aboard for 5 years. Parents got old and ill. Sold the yach BIG loss financialy and went to UK. Parents gone.

Flew to Cyprus bought a fantastic 3 bed Penthouse sea views etc. Got to pension age and we decide to sell up and buy another live-aboard boat. Lived aboard for 5 years. Got older, the boating more expensive (marinas,repairs,up-keep etc.) Sold the boat and now back in Cyprus in a rented apartment living the good life.
Miss the actual Sailing but not enough to go back to it.
Hope the above may be of help.

Sybarite

Visit site
Afternoon guys and girls. I am looking to buy a yacht 40ft. Upto 53ft, but my wife wants a apartment
I want to use and keep it in the med and daysail from Marina to Marina And some Anchoring.
Thanks David

Will that budget allow you to buy an apartment in a pleasant setting or would it be on some back-street somewhere? If you find that you become tired of the place you then have the problem of what to do next.

OTOH if you get a boat which is comfortable and well equipped ( I have in mind the Amel Maramu 46' which preceded the Super Maramu) you can up and seek new pastures.

It constitutes not only your residence but also your pass-time as well.

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
Dilly dallies a bit doesn't he?

:D

Sorry couldnt resist that after the deleted posts.

I've owned apartments abroad and while it was enjoyable, especially as all your belongings are already there and you know where to go without wasting days looking for decent restaurants etc after 4 years it got a bit dull and the area seem to get smaller, if that makes sense.

As has already been said, only you know your wife and what you want so only really you can make that ultimate decision.

How about a cheaper boat with an apartments and small mortgage which you can cover with rentals?

Last edited:

GrahamM376

Visit site
We have a share in an inherited apartment near the Tejo (Lisbon) and a boat on the Algarve. Big difference in social life between living in an apartment and moving around on a boat, seeing different places and meeting people. For the majority of expat apartment and villa dwellers we've met, life mainly revolves around booze and UK papers.

affinite

Visit site
Our boat is in Eastern Turkey at present.
We have cruised extensively in the E.Med including Cyprus and Israel but with all thats happening in the region we are no longer completely comfortable there so in May we are moving on.
Glad I didnt buy an apartment in Eastern Turkey like we once considered :)

Mylo73

Visit site
Thanks David

I'm in a similar predicament at the moment and have to chose shortly as to what route I'm going down. You don't say whereabouts your wife wants to reside, but with a 100k to play with then you should be able to purchase a studio / one bedroom apartment (country dependent of course) + a yacht.