Anyone using Greek Vodafone PrePay data SIM ?

affinite

Visit site
In view of the imposition of roaming charges for UK SIMs in Europe I'm thinking of buying a Greek Vodafone PrePaid SIM to use in my on-board MiFi so I can continue to monitor boats systems after Jan 1st
For anyone who already uses Vodafone Greece Pre Pay, can be topped up over the internet ?

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I did have vodaphone but now have a cosmote monthly one I can pay this in via any bank or Cosmote shop .
Unlimited access as I have TV with firestick on board, plus phone of course not cheap €50 a month ,but a lifesaver on a 7 month lock down in Lavrio .

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We used it for a few years pre-Covid. Coverage always seemed OK in Ionian, Aegean and Cyclades. Vodafone shops were thin on the ground in some areas.
I seem to remember that it was best to delay purchase as long as possible. I remember being asked for 30 euro or similar to buy a SIM and the monthly allowance wasn't great. It was early in the season, probably May. I noticed that I could get a free SIM 4-5 weeks later and deals seemed to be better later in the season (Poss. July - Sept.) before going back to the original GB per month.

Our tactic for next year will be to pause our VOXI UK data SIM at the airport in UK. Local wifi is fine while we are in the yard and at the quay sorting things out. I think that will cover 3-4 weeks or more. We'll re-start VOXI for 2 months, possibly longer, and switch to Greek Vodafone if VOXI moan about our extended use outside UK. Easy enough to pause VOXI again until we return home and rely on a Greek data SIM until that time.

truscott

Visit site
I'm using the Vodafone CU package at the moment. I've not managed to work out how to top up via the web, but happily topped up via the phone service, after buying credit at the AB checkout. You call the number and it walks you through the options, like press 1 for English etc... Currently the summer deal is great. Unlimited data for the month for EUR 9.99.

affinite

Visit site
Thanks all
My requirement is to leave my MiFi unattended taking only a small amount of data (200MB per month) all year round for sending sensor data home.
I currently use a cheap UK Vodafone PAYG SIM but as roaming will stop after January thats why Im looking at local SIM options
My existing MiFi device is locked onto Vodafone which i was specifically asking about VF Greece
I can get 4GB/month for €10 from VF Greece which is more than I need but I dont know if I can top it up from the UK

I use other devices/packages for general Internet access when travelling.

billskip

Visit site
Thanks all
My requirement is to leave my MiFi unattended taking only a small amount of data (200MB per month) all year round for sending sensor data home.
I currently use a cheap UK Vodafone PAYG SIM but as roaming will stop after January thats why Im looking at local SIM options
My existing MiFi device is locked onto Vodafone which i was specifically asking about VF Greece
I can get 4GB/month for €10 from VF Greece which is more than I need but I dont know if I can top it up from the UK

Can you not just top it up with €120 and it will last a year?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Thanks all

VF in UK unlocked our MiFi for free. We were able use it with a Greek VF SIM.

We usually paid in kiosks after a problem paying online. Years ago though, perhaps OK now.

billskip

Visit site
Can you not just top it up with €120 and it will last a year?
I'll add to that......
Be careful though because some providers like giffgaff insist you make one call/txt msg every six months to keep sim valid,so you may need to be able for that.
VF I know do a data only sim here in Tenerife, can't you get a data only in Greece?

affinite

Visit site
Bill
Thanks for the warning.
The router will be sending data every day and I can access the router remotely using VNC in order to send an SMS to myself to keep it active
yes - I already use a data only SIM but the question is can you top it up remotely as we are used to in UK.
In the past the phone shops in Greece had long queues of people waiting to topup and Im hoping theyve moved on from that to topup over the internet.
I'll find out for myself on Tuesday

billskip

Visit site
Bill
Thanks for the warning.
The router will be sending data every day and I can access the router remotely using VNC in order to send an SMS to myself to keep it active
yes - I already use a data only SIM but the question is can you top it up remotely as we are used to in UK.
In the past the phone shops in Greece had long queues of people waiting to topup and Im hoping theyve moved on from that to topup over the internet.
I'll find out for myself on Tuesday
Ok I cant speak for VF Greece, but VF in tenerife I had for a CCTV system on a sim router and that I could top up over the net.