anyone used Acrylic paint on interior wood?

aquaholic

Visit site
Decided to paint my tired veneer bulkheads and looking for best paint suggestions.....have read a bit about acrylic paints and wondered if it was the way to go? And for you die hards I doubt my skills stretch to a decent job of fitting new veneers ?

jwilson

Visit site
If you do decide to use a water-based satin or gloss paint try Johnsones "Aqua" range. Not used on boat but after trying a variety of water-based brands these are the best, least brush marks and best for holding a wet edge. Am now using these in the house, not as good a finish as oil-based used to give, but oil-based paints are going downhill rapidly these days, all seem to take longer to dry, and the satins don't give as good a finish as they used to.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
+1

I don't worry about brush marks but if I did I'd just put it on with a small foam roller.... :)
My bulkheads have been lined with white painted thin plywood.I used a two pot polyurethane.I could have made it satin with a matting agent but still the shine is very subdued.The main advantage is that this paint is very hard and after more than then years it still looks as good as new.

Simes

Visit site
Yes, we have used water based paint on board. This was as a test in the heads compartment. 8 years ago and it is still adhering, still shiny (well silky) and has worked well in a compartment that does suffer from a moist atmosphere.

Ours was the Ronseal variety if I recall correctly.

Regards

Simes

jwilson

Visit site
Acrylic paint and varnish is the future. Much easier to apply, and the surface is durable. I was sceptical about so called "Quick Drying" varnish, but now I'm a convert.
I agree it's the future, but not about easier to apply - not if you want a good finish. With oil-based paint and varnish I used to be able to get a near-mirror gloss or a dead level satin, even with the better water-based stuff I can't achieve that. Acceptable, yes, near-perfect no.