Anyone seen Jenny??

Roy

Visit site
We are getting the f33 soon and want to install a generator. Sealine charge up to £5000 for their smallest one fitted. We would like to hear from anyone who has a Jenny on board and if it is very noisy? Also, if there is a case for finding a good (cheaper) second hand unit or recommended makers of these machines that anyone could advise us on.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Roy

<hr width=100% size=1>What does this mean then?

Talbot

Visit site
I have a 750 watt portable which I can use to drive most of my power tools and provide an emergency charge to the batteries. Can pick them up on ebay for next to nothing.

An installed one even well soundproofed is still a bl**dy nuisance to adjacent yachts.

So depends what you want to do with it. If you want to go all electric as some mobos do these days then an installed diesel one is the only solution, but I hate the concept of permanent 240v onboard a boat unless she is sitting permanently alongside.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nick2

Visit site
I have a Mastervolt 4 diesel genny installed under the lazerette in my Fairline Corniche which does seem pretty quiet and not really audiable outside the boat.

It is an excellent piece of kit with the only issue being the extra weight on board (97kg I think). Cost the previous owner over £7,000 to install which seems big bucks to me but came free to me in theory.

Nice to have but we have never found it essential...except for Joanne's hair dryer.

If you are ever in Southampton area you are welcome to a listen

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://arweb.co.uk/argallery/Nick2>http://arweb.co.uk/argallery/Nick2</A>

dignity

Visit site
I've a VETUS GHS4 so called silent gen set installed. It's noisy and crap! So so crap it's two year old, and we've run it for 8 hours. Don't buy one!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MIKEV

Visit site
I,ve got a 360 statesman fitted with a 4kva generator supplied by HFL (0208 8059088) very reliable and not much noise i,m sure they will be more than happy to quote for your f33.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
Jenny Tulls??? Jenny Taylor????

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.soltron.co.uk>the website</A>

jfm

Visit site
If you want a proper job it will cost 7k ish I'm afraid. This includes low vibration mounts and a sound insulated box. It's not really fair to compare this with the much cheaper (say) Honda free standing ones, becuase with a proper marine job you get the sound insulation, an underwater exhaust, a remote control panel somewhere convenient in the boat, seacock/strainer to pick up raw cooling water, connection to the diesel tank, wiring into the main 220v panel so you can select genny or shorepower, etc. You can do it much cheaper if you dont do all these things but it aint as good.

Properly installed a marine job will be near silent, just a background rumble, certainly would not interfere with normal conversation etc

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
I think they are very expensive considering how many times a year they get used.
Basically most people end up in a Marina at the end of a days cruise, and plug into shore power, which of course is silent/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Can only think of one occasion when one might use it and thats at anchor. How many peeps spend all night at anchor around UK, and even then probably only one night cos the next storm comes along/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

Moose

Visit site
Just been quoted £4720 for an HFL 4Kw(with extra silencing stuff and a few upgrades) and installation on my P37.

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Roy

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the replies received. I want something quiet and properly installed etc. So it will cost me. I do need the gen set because we go out at weekend and anchor off or beach the boat (honest) and the need for full power is greater, tv, hairdryer,microwave and so forth.

Will advise my progress soon. Thanks again. Roy

<hr width=100% size=1>What does this mean then?

jfm

Visit site
Seems a good price moose. We have that HFL model (or possibly 4.5kw, not sure) on the phantom 42, it's pretty quiet, nice job.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
dont forget yer cant run it if the boat is beached. Cant see the point of spending £5k youll never realise the full value back in terms of benefit

Bit more useful in the med for running the AC at anchor/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>