Anyone recommend a lifting harness for a 9,9hp outboard?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I have a Mercury 9.9hp EFI mounted on the pullpit rail, and a crane to lift it ... but I have 3 problems ...

1. The crane is too short to lift the engine high enough to clear the outboard bracket on the rail and is only rated for 35kg ... the engine is 38kg and it wobbles a bit.
2. The outboard bracket is very high, protruding 2 inches or so above the rail.
3. The outboard is large and an awkward shape such that the lifting harness the previous owner left doesn't fit.

I'm going to replace the crane and the bracket to increase clearance, but I can't find a suitable harness to lift the engine, and the engine doesn't have a lifting eye under the cowl like my old 6hp Merc did ;(

Anyone else solved this problem or recommend a harness for a similar sized and shaped engine?

2024_Mercury_F9_EFI_01_0.jpg

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site

This is my 15 hp outboard mounting bracket, lifting crane and the lifting strap I made to lift my outboard from my dingy on to my boat

I fitted eyebolts to the underside of my engine to allow the attachment of the lifting strap

Martin_J

Visit site
If you have any old lifejackets (with built in harnesses) that are going to the bin, then the webbing and harness line clip can make a good outboard harness.

A simple figure of eight shape, with one leg towards the front of the engine and another to the rear. If just the right length, they just about slip on and can't fall off.

Screenshot_20240904-141925_Gallery.jpg

Just enough height to slide sideways onto the outboard storage bracket..

Screenshot_20240904-141907_Gallery.jpg

And with a zip on cover, the harness can stay on all the time..

Screenshot_20240904-142537_Gallery.jpg

The actual join in the single length of webbing is wholly under the forward part of the engine. Any stitching at the top just holds the webbing angles in place.

Martin_J

Visit site
Those photos for that SWI-TEC harness do show a metal clip for the lower loop (because that takes all the weight) with the upper side straps just needing smaller plastic clips just to keep themselves in place.

BTW.. That lifting crane in my photos was from Force 4 and has a stated capacity of 55kg... I did however replace the small block and tackle that it came with, with two independent pulley systems that were more substantial.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Those photos for that SWI-TEC harness do show a metal clip for the lower loop (because that takes all the weight) with the upper side straps just needing smaller plastic clips just to keep themselves in place.

BTW.. That lifting crane in my photos was from Force 4 and has a stated capacity of 55kg... I did however replace the small block and tackle that it came with, with two independent pulley systems that were more substantial.
That crane looks a bit more substantial than mine ... the previous owner had a 3,5hp which was quite a bit smaller.

Unbenannt.JPG

Baggywrinkle

Visit site

This is my 15 hp outboard mounting bracket, lifting crane and the lifting strap I made to lift my outboard from my dingy on to my boat

I fitted eyebolts to the underside of my engine to allow the attachment of the lifting strap

That looks very industrial and functional .... my engine is a bit too shiny for chain at this point in time ..... the eyebolts are something to think about though. (y) ... combined with webbing straps the motor would remain unscathed.

NormanS

Visit site
Being practical boat owners, my wife and I simply made our own. It's only some webbing with a snap shackle closure.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Being practical boat owners, my wife and I simply made our own. It's only some webbing with a snap shackle closure.

Thats how I made mine using some rope and snap scales to connect to the eye bolts

the crane was a pace of 1 1/4 BSP pipe with a 80 degrees bent at one end clamped to my Pushpit