Anyone recognise this electrickery box?

Visit site
I know I should be able to figure it out if I trace all the wires - but easier said than done - especially when not on the boat and cables disappear under things

On a new to me boat.

Seems to have a lot of cables - including massive -ve

Any clues welcome

Thanks

Attachments

• ScreenShot4479.jpg
    ScreenShot4479.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 361

ithet

Visit site
If that is the -ve at the top (and it looks like the fuses are lower down consistent with the +ve at bottom) then those red wires at the top are actually -ve returns to the little bus bars we cannot see in pic. At least comparing with ones I seen on eBay.

bedouin

Visit site
I would guess a distribution/fuse box with -ve at the top and fused +ve at the bottom. But hard to tell for sure from that picture.

Pete7

Visit site
Looks a bit damp too plus some corrosion starting. I think disconnecting the batteries first, then the wire lugs to give them a clean and a squirt of something might be needed to prevent a problem down the road. Something not quite right with that nut on the negative terminal too.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I know I should be able to figure it out if I trace all the wires - but easier said than done - especially when not on the boat and cables disappear under things

On a new to me boat.
You REALLY, REALLY should trace the wires especially as this is a new boat to you. You might find that its not actually connected to anything. Do ask how I know!

Black Sheep

Visit site
You REALLY, REALLY should trace the wires especially as this is a new boat to you. You might find that its not actually connected to anything. Do ask how I know!
Agree... but there is another option...
Having looked at the tangle of wires and components on my new (to me) boat, and having destroyed one battery by allowing it to drain through who knows where, I have taken the other option. Run a fresh wire from the battery to a fresh fuse box. Everything that needs wiring in, I wire in. Then I can remove the old tangle. This goes well when replacing a lot of the kit anyway, but does take a degree of courage!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Agree... but there is another option...
Having looked at the tangle of wires and components on my new (to me) boat, and having destroyed one battery by allowing it to drain through who knows where, I have taken the other option. Run a fresh wire from the battery to a fresh fuse box. Everything that needs wiring in, I wire in. Then I can remove the old tangle. This goes well when replacing a lot of the kit anyway, but does take a degree of courage!
Having spent three winters sorting out the wiring on the current boat you have my sympathy. What really, really pI$$ed me off was the runs of wire not actually attached to anything! Owners over the years had removed kit and left the copper in place - I've spend hours and hours sorting that lot out. What was most shocking was the live AC connection that was male pins at the back of the locked in the salon! I had a fit when I felt that, I dare not think what would have happened on a cold wet night when we plugged into shore power and somebody stuck a cold wet hand in there!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I removed 50 years worth of cable from my boat when I bought her. It looked like all the previous owners (5) had just snipped the previous wires, drilled various holes through bulkheads and installed their gear with the cheapest cables they could buy. Bloody frustrating but also rather satisfying when complete.

Poey50

Visit site

On a new to me boat.

Seems to have a lot of cables - including massive -ve

Any clues welcome

Thanks

You don't need to follow the cables. Check with a multimeter that you have 12 volts plus across the the +ve and -ve busbars. In a safe place (e.g. not a shipping lane) switch on all loads then remove a blade fuse and see what goes off. Repeat.

As others have said the connections need cleaning up and a cover needs locating. Covers usually have space for a label to define the circuit. It's easy to forget otherwise.

jiris

Visit site
Can I see ribs of a heatsink on the low left? It could be some split charge diode with a few fused outlets for the house battery. Just a guess :).

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Can I see ribs of a heatsink on the low left? It could be some split charge diode with a few fused outlets for the house battery. Just a guess :).

Is this a new device that you have just invented, because i've never heard of such a thing.

Reactions: pvb

prv

Visit site
Neither have I. Aren't boats full of things never heard of? :)

Not really, no. And it's quite clearly a very common type of blade fusebox that most people would recognise. And plenty of people already had recognised it and posted what it was, hours before your odd speculation.

Pete