Anyone owned or sailed a Morecambe Bay Prawner?

fredrussell

Visit site
I’m not usually a wooden boat kind of guy, but I’ve always had a soft spot for these boats. There’s a nice example for sale at the mo and it occurred to me that I’ve seldom seen them mentioned on The Forum. Anyone on here ever owned or helmed one?

MisterBaxter

Visit site
No but I've sailed an Essex smack, which is a pretty similar boat. Very steady and solid, not great to windward but heaves to very well, can have a lot of weather helm depending on the detail of the rig. Lots of rope and sometimes quite heavy gear. With the right rig you can spread a huge amount of sail in light airs and reef down low and snug in stronger winds, but you have to do a lot of work in the transitions!
Very much about the individual boat too, some of them seem to have a kind of magic around speed and balance and some very much don't...

Last edited:

Piddy

Visit site
My Parents had one in the late 60's. 33' long and very low freeboard so quite wet. It had a huuuuge tiller that took a bit of manhandling.
Bought in Heybridge Basin and sailed round to Portsmouth, afterwards kept at Wicormarine alongside the pier.
I was a very young man at the time!

fredrussell

Visit site
Cheers for those replies. There was one on the Orwell near me that ended up being offered for next to nowt to a good home. In the next life perhaps…

MisterBaxter

Visit site
There are a few GRP ones out there, a mould was taken from a Prawner of about 28' lod and a small number of really nice boats built. I saw one in Bristol once which I seem to remember was called Minx, lovely looking boat.