Anyone moving a yacht from Scotland to South Coast

xstucker

www.mflixster.com
Is there anyone out there who is moving their boat by road transport from the West Coast of Scotland to the South Coast of England? I need to transport my Bavaria 37 from Gosport to Inverkip and it would financially beneficial to keep the lorry full for both journeys. Thanks, Simon

Goldie

Visit site
Simon, you're right about a return load being more economical of course, but have you considered sailing the boat to the Clyde? Given suitable winds it's an easy trip - with a nice easterly we did Chichester to Troon in 3 days 18 hours (not one tack!) and it saves all the hassle of dropping the rig, craning the boat etc. If you're ready to go, there are easterlies forecast for the end of this week!

Alternatively, may I suggest contacting the Clyde marinas (Troon, Ardrossan, Largs, Inverkip, Holy Loch and Rhu) to see if they have any crane bookings to lift boats onto southbound transporters? Good luck either way.

santeana

Visit site
Another option, Simon, is to contact a transporter company. I've used John Shepherd Transport several times for boat transport to and from Scotland and found them first class. Contact: 07836 706119. Cheers, Ron

Richard10002

Visit site
Like Goldie, I would probably go by sea rather than land. Any particular reason why you are looking at road haulage rather than making it your Easter trip, or whenever?

Cloven

Visit site
I would totally agree with the recommendation to use John Shepherd. Very reliable and good value. We are currently using him to transport a boat from NW Scotland to Southern Brittany but he is doing that as a "return" load as he is delivering a new French boat to Scotland.