Anyone lost an old ‘Gul?

GrandadPig

Visit site
Found under a hedge in obvious distress.
Now recovering in intensive care in my shed.

PM me.
I seem to be collecting the damn things. Got 6 now. Which is not many compared to some people. Two in regular use, the others on the waiting list, awaiting surgery. If you decide to re-home it, I could be interested.

QBhoy

Visit site
I’ve just adopted a ‘74 40 plus. Hadn’t ran for 18 years as far as we know. Fresh fuel and a fender rope to pull her over…3rd go..she went. Fright of my life! Not even a plug, carb or check over beforehand!
Since then, I’ve cleaned the carb and plug…got some gear oil in her (there was none previously)…the bugger is now bogging under throttle from low rpm. Messed with the needle setting a little. Not too much better. More investigation required. May have too much oil in her and also fear I may have spotted a leak near crankcase perhaps ?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’ve just adopted a ‘74 40 plus. Hadn’t ran for 18 years as far as we know. Fresh fuel and a fender rope to pull her over…3rd go..she went. Fright of my life! Not even a plug, carb or check over beforehand!
Since then, I’ve cleaned the carb and plug…got some gear oil in her (there was none previously)…the bugger is now bogging under throttle from low rpm. Messed with the needle setting a little. Not too much better. More investigation required. May have too much oil in her and also fear I may have spotted a leak near crankcase perhaps ?
I thought leaks were a standard fit on Gul’s.

GrandadPig

Visit site

Amazing little machines. Not inverses too deeply is it? Too much exhaust back pressure can certainly upset them

QBhoy

Visit site
Amazing little machines. Not inverses too deeply is it? Too much exhaust back pressure can certainly upset them
It did run in the same level previously. Just now there is gear oil in it and the carb been off…she’s bogging. Haven’t looked any further into it to be fair. May get bored this evening and have a look.

chinita

Visit site
I seem to be collecting the damn things. Got 6 now. Which is not many compared to some people. Two in regular use, the others on the waiting list, awaiting surgery. If you decide to re-home it, I could be interested.
Thanks for the offer Grandad.
He has bonded with us. Off the 10:1 breast oil now and happy with 25:1.
Major investment of a new spark plug and gearbox oil means he is likely to stay. Young Yamaha 2.5 looking very nervous, particularly as his card refurb doesn’t seem to have made much difference to his action.
These youngsters eh!

QBhoy

Visit site
Thanks for the offer Grandad.
He has bonded with us. Off the 10:1 breast oil now and happy with 25:1.
Major investment of a new spark plug and gearbox oil means he is likely to stay. Young Yamaha 2.5 looking very nervous, particularly as his card refurb doesn’t seem to have made much difference to his action.
These youngsters eh!
Haha. I have a few 30 year old youngster Yamaha and wee mercs in the garage, listening to old stories from the 70’s, told by the old fella sitting next to them.
just on the gear oil. I put a lump of ep140 in there. Left a bit of room at the top for the incredible to think of “usual water ingress”. You do likewise ? Amazing concept !!

GrandadPig

Visit site
Haha. I have a few 30 year old youngster Yamaha and wee mercs in the garage, listening to old stories from the 70’s, told by the old fella sitting next to them.
just on the gear oil. I put a lump of ep140 in there. Left a bit of room at the top for the incredible to think of “usual water ingress”. You do likewise ? Amazing concept !!

Brilliant, gave me a chuckle. Good luck with your new family member. If I can be of any help just shout.

QBhoy

Visit site
Brilliant, gave me a chuckle. Good luck with your new family member. If I can be of any help just shout.
Appreciated. Might go out to the garage for a look now. Just can’t get her to stop bogging down when opening the throttle from idle. If I leave her with a little throttle open…eventually she will catch on and rev up. But back to idle and try again…she bogs. Perhaps another wee question for you. I’ve come across a later carb that’s off a layer century model. Mine is a villiers carb. This is the later carb that I can’t remember the name of. Has a lovely wee air intake cover on it. But she won’t fit onto the 40+ intake pipe on the engine. Has a nylon pvc reducer insert on the newer carb…but still to large to fit tightly on mine. Verdict is out on wether this will fit on my engine with the use of a smaller reducer pvc insert I can see online…but can’t find any info on anyone else that’s out this carb conversion on an engine like mine. Any ideas or thoughts on it ?
Mine is still running the original 10-1 needle for sure. Had a look the other day. If this newer carb will fit, wonder if it might give and extra wee boosts to her ? Certainly a larger looking thing.

QBhoy

Visit site
Appreciated. Might go out to the garage for a look now. Just can’t get her to stop bogging down when opening the throttle from idle. If I leave her with a little throttle open…eventually she will catch on and rev up. But back to idle and try again…she bogs. Perhaps another wee question for you. I’ve come across a later carb that’s off a layer century model. Mine is a villiers carb. This is the later carb that I can’t remember the name of. Has a lovely wee air intake cover on it. But she won’t fit onto the 40+ intake pipe on the engine. Has a nylon pvc reducer insert on the newer carb…but still to large to fit tightly on mine. Verdict is out on wether this will fit on my engine with the use of a smaller reducer pvc insert I can see online…but can’t find any info on anyone else that’s out this carb conversion on an engine like mine. Any ideas or thoughts on it ?
Mine is still running the original 10-1 needle for sure. Had a look the other day. If this newer carb will fit, wonder if it might give and extra wee boosts to her ? Certainly a larger looking thing.

Attachments

• B5169B3D-9236-4D57-9C1C-65B777692A76.png
    B5169B3D-9236-4D57-9C1C-65B777692A76.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 20

GrandadPig

Visit site
Got the serial number? Punch it in to the SOS website and it should tell you what carb was fitted originally. John is a true expert in Seagulls and very helpful if you email him. Used to keep his boat at Bradwell I think. Built her himself many years ago. Clever chap.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Got the serial number? Punch it in to the SOS website and it should tell you what carb was fitted originally. John is a true expert in Seagulls and very helpful if you email him. Used to keep his boat at Bradwell I think. Built her himself many years ago. Clever chap.

Seconded!

I only have two.
This is the young one:

1FD6E791-586A-4467-A031-F75CCAAFF2F5.jpeg545B1185-F1AF-478D-BDDB-C55F711031D4.jpeg

GrandadPig

Visit site
Glad I am not the only one on here that can appreciate the reliability and simplicity of these icons of British ingenuity. Your middle photo I found interesting as I just became the owner of a “canoe’ stern boat and am thinking how to mount a 102 alongside the cockpit. Looks like a fairly easy bodge! Thank you.

chinita

Visit site
Yep, difficult to guage at the filler. I fill it to the top then turn it upside down to drain a bit. I remember the WTF! moment when I first drained a gearbox of it’s sludge!

Rum Run

Visit site
The boat is still there, and still owned by him AFAIK. Very shiny too

GrandadPig

Visit site
True story. Had a 40+ on the transom of a Tideway dinghy many years ago. Motoring in the Norfolk Broads when I hit a submerged log or something. The Seagull jumped up in the air and fell into the water. It was secured with a short rope but long enough to allow it to totally submerge. I remember looking over the stern and clearly saw bubbles coming from the exhaust before it stalled.

I pulled it up by the rope and re-fitted it on the transom. I did not think it would start and sat for a few minutes pondering a long row back to where the car had been left. Rowed for, perhaps, half an hour and just out of curiosity thought I would give it a pull. Yes, it started first pull! An engine that had been totally immersed whilst running, can you imagine a modern motor doing that? It ran happily all the way back, never missed a beat. Truly remarkable!. Sadly some ratbag stole it a few months later. But that’s when my affection/addiction for Seagull outboards started I think.