Anyone lost a yacht?

mikefleetwood

Visit site
From BBC Radio Cornwall facebook this morning:
Owners of rescued yacht sought
A sailing yacht has been recovered off rocks in the Carrick Roads this morning after it is thought she slipped her mooring. 'The Tarka of Percuil' is now safely on a mooring at St Mawes harbour thanks to the Falmouth Lifeboat crew. Coastguards say the vessel doesn't appear to have suffered any damage . Can you help reunite the vessel with her owner?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Or maybe it had a broken strop attached to a cleat. In which case fair to assume it had broken away from its mooring, especially in the unusually windy weather we've had in the past week.

Seajet

Visit site
If an owner slipped overboard the boat might well be off the mooring and the tender drifting fast downwind.

The motor may have died, all sorts of reasons why a boat may go adrift, but if I was left in cold water I'd be pretty chuffed if some sort of help turned up before the next of kin get the lot !

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
If an owner slipped overboard the boat might well be off the mooring and the tender drifting fast downwind.

The motor may have died, all sorts of reasons why a boat may go adrift, but if I was left in cold water I'd be pretty chuffed if some sort of help turned up before the next of kin get the lot !

Andy,

As the vessel in question was recovered by Falmouth Lifeboat, I'd be amazed if the first question to occur to them wasn't "WTF are the crew?" I'd also guess they are dab hands at determining whether a vessel was in use or just going float-about when discovered.

Cantata

Visit site
Andy,

As the vessel in question was recovered by Falmouth Lifeboat, I'd be amazed if the first question to occur to them wasn't "WTF are the crew?" I'd also guess they are dab hands at determining whether a vessel was in use or just going float-about when discovered.

Of course. As an ex-CG I can assure you that is exactly what would go through everyone's mind and I don't doubt that a full search was instigated, unless there was good evidence that nobody was in danger.

Cantata

Visit site
Any incident like this is actually run by the CG, who would have called out the lifeboat. The CG66 register is available online to the CG officer running the incident.

Seajet

Visit site
Andy,

Twister Ken,

I was suggesting looking for the crew as a general rule rather than this case with a lifeboat; over the years I can think of a few boats of various kinds which were found adrift and just made secure as a kindness to the owner !

SteveTibbetts

Visit site
My two previous boats both took themselves walkabout and parked themselves on nearby beaches. One through chafed through mooring lines (that one got neaped for a week or so) and one through a failed borrowed mooring (that one took hours to dig out). Consequently i'm very careful with mooring attachments. In both the cases the boats could have headed out to sea with the the right wind and tide and i wouldn't have found out till someone tracked me down