Anyone know the up to date position at Messolonghi marina?

Flica

Visit site
I've spent considerable time around Messolonghi during the last 7 weeks, both in the marina and at anchor.
They still have not got their licence (I believe the only marina in the Ionian which has one is Kalamata) and are being actively prevented from operating, by the Port Police, goaded by Yianni.
During the period I was there Christos (Koufos Cranes) launched two boats. The PP with Yiannis masquerading as an official, tried to intervene and were told it was nothing to do with the marina.
Speculative visitors are now being actively turned away, but long-term resident boats come and go.

Generally local opinion is supportive of the marina management and, with the likelihood of Yiannis activities being legally forbidden, it is possible that this is the last winter of discontent.

The shortage of dry berthing and excessive demand, in the Ionian has raised prices to ridiculous levels and I would advise anyone to look at the large number of significantly less expensive places in the Aegean, with far simpler airport access and cheaper year-round air fares.
Kalamata has always been short of onshore berthing. I've been here on and off for the past 6 years and am currently sitting in the marina.
Certainly it appears likely that anyone who has not yet arranged berthing ashore in the popular Ionian bases is likely to be disappointed.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
The shortage of dry berthing and excessive demand, in the Ionian has raised prices to ridiculous levels and I would advise anyone to look at the large number of significantly less expensive places in the Aegean, with far simpler airport access and cheaper year-round air fares.
Kalamata has always been short of onshore berthing. I've been here on and off for the past 6 years and am currently sitting in the marina.
Certainly it appears likely that anyone who has not yet arranged berthing ashore in the popular Ionian bases is likely to be disappointed.

It's difficult to wean the Levkas/Preveza/Corfu/Messolonghi addicts from their out of season travel challenges!

Google "S Peloponnese layup" to see a whole list of layup options with far more convenient travel, but a more ethnic approach to layup. Kalamata tops the "nice" list. Pylos is incredibly cheap, very definitely for self supporting types. Patras is thoroughly Greek. In the Evia channel ther are options in Khalkis and near Oropos (friendly family yard).

All these are more convenient for out of season travel, with shorter journey times to the more frequent Athens flights.

Add in Aegina, Koiladia, and a couple of really ethnic choices aroung Salamis . . .

Too adventurous?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Jim - Koiladia, and many of the Evia ones are full. I was lucky to get ashore on the 4th of July - as I was having to leave the boat till next year. I am sure that this relates to a move away from Turkey by many - but there is generally plenty of space in Turkey now - and as a result probably more competition for getting work - in a skilled and reliable work force. 4 days should get you there from the Ionian if you get on with it!

Flica

Visit site
Jim - Koiladia, and many of the Evia ones are full. I was lucky to get ashore on the 4th of July - as I was having to leave the boat till next year. I am sure that this relates to a move away from Turkey by many - but there is generally plenty of space in Turkey now - and as a result probably more competition for getting work - in a skilled and reliable work force. 4 days should get you there from the Ionian if you get on with it!

There is full and full, all the Aegean yards I've been in touch with have space for the coming winter - but not necessarily with Travelifts or for larger boats and catamarans, I'll vouch for the increased number of ex-Turkey boats to be seen around and this year the Italians seem to have penetrated farther and in greater numbers than before. Many are even talking about keeping their boats in Greece rather than in Italy!!!
Which is likely to make finding room ashore even more of a problem for the poor cash-strapped (due to Brexit) Brits and their boats. Losing the shoreside capacity for 400-600 boats, offered by Messolonghi marina, however temporary, is bound to affect local berth availability.

Silverado

Waterford, Ireland, boat's in Preveza, Greece
Visit site
Messolongi marina is still closed in June 2018 and visitors are being told to use the town quay or anchor off. There were twelve visitors on the quay wall with four more anchored off three nights ago. That's a lot of revenue being lost on a daily basis.

We were told that if we tried to tie up there we would be fined 500 euro. There were quite a few boats moored on the pontoons and it appears that if they leave they won't be allowed to go back.