Anyone know the up to date position at Messolonghi marina?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Just had a good quote for winter at Messolonghi but they warn that " due to current circumstances they cannot confirm a berth until October" can anyone update me on what is happening there?

If you want to be sure of a place ashore this winter in the Ionian area you must make a firm booking now. You can't afford to wait for Messy to get its Licence if it ever is issued.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I read a post elsewhere a couple of days ago. Apparently the marina is almost dead, nothing happening and boats back to anchoring in the bay. The environmental permit has been 'pending and awaited' for a couple of years now with little sign that it will ever turn up.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I suspect that it'll arrive promptly once the Dutch Investors finally accept defeat, cut there losses & walk away so the marina becomes 'locally' owned.

If that's the case I hope people would stay away from the place , I have to say I feel sorry for Jo , he fighting a losing battle with his Greek partner .

Caladh

Visit site
I suspect that it'll arrive promptly once the Dutch Investors finally accept defeat, cut there losses & walk away so the marina becomes 'locally' owned.

I think by now Jo has decided that he's in for the long haul and there is no way Yannis will take it over. Many , many people in the town are fed up with him (Yannis). It's a pity no one is man enough to stand up to him.

jordanbasset

Visit site
I enquired about a berth at the marina and got an answer yesterday from Jo, ''It will take some more months before we will have the final license for the mooring/ lifting and launching.''
I do hope it is sorted out as it could be a very good marina with the new management in charge

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I enquired about a berth at the marina and got an answer yesterday from Jo, ''It will take some more months before we will have the final license for the mooring/ lifting and launching.''
I do hope it is sorted out as it could be a very good marina with the new management in charge

I also asked about berthing over winter and had a reply from Jo stating "due to temporary circumstances, we cannot accommodate your boat for the requested period. I advise you to contact us again in October and/or to contact another marina."

No space left at Ionian Marine either so I need to start looking around now for somewhere in South Ionian or thereabouts.

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
I also asked about berthing over winter and had a reply from Jo stating "due to temporary circumstances, we cannot accommodate your boat for the requested period. I advise you to contact us again in October and/or to contact another marina."

No space left at Ionian Marine either so I need to start looking around now for somewhere in South Ionian or thereabouts.

Cleopatra or Aktio at Preveza, Lefkas, Gouvia? Or if you can get a bit further around Kilada is excellent

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Cleopatra or Aktio at Preveza, Lefkas, Gouvia? Or if you can get a bit further around Kilada is excellent

Thanks for the information. I did get a quote from Cleopatra but not Aktio. However, flights home were very expensive. I didn't bother with Levkas for that reason. Prices for Levkas and Kalamata were high for storage ashore, unless I'm reading terms incorrectly. Rate ashore goes up by +20% or +30% per month after 2 or 3 months respectively.

I have just emailed Kilada an hour ago and asked for a quote and how to get to Athens airport. Good to know that they are excellent. I was worried when I spotted that the bay is only 1m deep and they'd dredged a narrow channel. One yard I used seemed to spend all their time dredging and I still saw boats going aground :D.

I dismissed Gouvia as we were heading out of the Ionian. Might have to reconsider so will look at prices and flights as a fallback.

Thanks for the quick response. I hope you didn't hit bad weather on way to Malta a while back. We were hearing F9-10 in Corsica, Sardinia area and heading in your direction. We headed E and only got hit by F7 or so for 4-5 hours and got clear of it.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Cleo is more expenses then Aktio there also Ionian yard where we left a yacht last year , good price and very good service , the only problem is getting a place so you need to booked as the yards are filling quickly .
You right about the flights , like most of Greece once oct comes airport start closing , and it's a good six hour bus ride to Athens then another hour to the air port .
This Is one problem people over look when picking a winter stop ,
Add on traval cost ,time and some time overnight stops and your cheap Marina isn't that cheap any more .

Last edited:

Pasarell

Visit site
Bus ride from Lefkas to Athens is now down to 4.5 hours or so. I last did it end of April and the new road is open from Patras right through to Athens. By now probably more of the road north of Patras is open as well, shaving more time off. Not only is the time less but the journey is much smoother too so sleep is easier! Of course there is still the horrible bit from the bus station in Athens out to the airport

NornaBiron

www.flickr.com
Thanks for the information. I did get a quote from Cleopatra but not Aktio. However, flights home were very expensive. I didn't bother with Levkas for that reason. Prices for Levkas and Kalamata were high for storage ashore, unless I'm reading terms incorrectly. Rate ashore goes up by +20% or +30% per month after 2 or 3 months respectively.

I have just emailed Kilada an hour ago and asked for a quote and how to get to Athens airport. Good to know that they are excellent. I was worried when I spotted that the bay is only 1m deep and they'd dredged a narrow channel. One yard I used seemed to spend all their time dredging and I still saw boats going aground :D.

I dismissed Gouvia as we were heading out of the Ionian. Might have to reconsider so will look at prices and flights as a fallback.

Thanks for the quick response. I hope you didn't hit bad weather on way to Malta a while back. We were hearing F9-10 in Corsica, Sardinia area and heading in your direction. We headed E and only got hit by F7 or so for 4-5 hours and got clear of it.

No problems getting to Malta, all calm (ish) here!

We've lifted at Kilada three times and draw 2.7m, the channel is plenty wide enough and we have no problem getting in. There are a couple of ways to get to Athens. You can catch the local bus to Kranidi and then bus to Athens or the easiest way is to taxi to Ermioni or Porto Heli and then Flying Dolphin to Piraeas, about €30 one way and 2 hours, I think.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Cleo is more expenses then Aktio there also Ionian yard where we left a yacht last year , good price and very good service , the only problem is getting a place so you need to booked as the yards are filling quickly .
You right about the flights , like most of Greece once oct comes airport start closing , and it's a good six hour bus ride to Athens then another hour to the air port .
This Is one problem people over look when picking a winter stop ,
Add on traval cost ,time and some time overnight stops and your cheap Marina isn't that cheap any more .

Forgot to say that Ionian gave me prices a week ago but also said they were already fully booked for 2017.

No problems getting to Malta, all calm (ish) here!

We've lifted at Kilada three times and draw 2.7m, the channel is plenty wide enough and we have no problem getting in. There are a couple of ways to get to Athens. You can catch the local bus to Kranidi and then bus to Athens or the easiest way is to taxi to Ermioni or Porto Heli and then Flying Dolphin to Piraeas, about €30 one way and 2 hours, I think.

Thanks, sounds promising and I'll contact them again after the weekend. They might even have replied to my email by then. Weather I was talking about was 24th/25th July and I always get twitchy when F10 is mentioned and we'll be a long way from any safe anchorage. Fortunately, we only caught the tip of it and I thought it might have caught up with you on your trip over to Malta. I imagine you stayed in Siracusa long enough to miss it.

Sorry about diverting the thread away from Messolonghi.

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
Costa´s carnaye. Poros.

A bit different.
Same price as all yards in the neighbourhood.
Up to 30 tons.

Greek service. Very friendly, excellent craftsmanship. A tad bit difficult with deadlines for reasons non Greeks can´t understand.

We loved every day of been on the hard at that place.

Chickens, sheep, a dog and cats. Lots of cats. And pine marten. Correlli marten.

No cars, no noise, The most beatifull vue on Poros.

Pure Greece.

Davy_S

Visit site
And pine marten.
Could i be a really awkward git please:rolleyes: they are not Pine martens! they are Beech Martens or Stone Martens, slightly different and more tolerant of humans, you see them dead at the sides of the road all over Greece. They make one hell of a racket and will live in your roof space given the chance. The Pine Marten is very shy of people and quite solitary.