Anyone have an idea on an outboard supplier?

Visit site
I'm looking for a deal on a new 2.5 Mercury/Mariner/Tohatsu/Sukuki/etc.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

dralex

Visit site
Where are you based? I found Tonto Marine at Dartside Quay, Galmpton very good- bought a new Tohatsu 3.5 from there this year. Fair pricing as well. They have been superb with my current inboard as well.

Alex

<hr width=100% size=1>Life's too short- do it now.

pragmatist

Visit site
Just bought a 15hp Tohatsu from Bill Higham Marine http//www.billhighammarine.co.uk. They offered a much better price than any of the local Devon suppliers and were very helpful in giving phone advice since we wanted to switch to remotes for now and back to tiller steering later. they're based in Manchester but did next day delivery.

mind you it was a good thing they were helpful since the Japanese instructions for double-jointed midgets were lousy.

Thoroughly recommended.

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK

Visit site
Thanks guys \'n gals.....

£349 looks like the going rate but £429 gets me a clutch and 3.3hp

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

dralex

Visit site
Re: Thanks guys \'n gals.....

PS- if you do go for the 3.5 Tohatsu, make sure you have a plentiful supply of shearpins- some people find they shear even if the engine is put into gear at anything other than idle. Does this happen on the Mariners/ Mercury engines?

<hr width=100% size=1>Life's too short- do it now.

jamesjermain

Visit site

I think the Mariner and Mercury are basically the same engine, aren't they? I have a Tohatsu 3.5 bought from Fairweather at Fareham. Good price and good after sales service. The 3.5 is a pokey engine compared to a 2 or 2.5: almost too much for my inflatable, but just right for the GRP dinghy and OK with the 14ft dayboat. I, too, have sheared a pin or two in surprisingly undemanding conditions. I think the pin is designed for the torque of the 2.5hp on which this engine is based.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

Visit site

Then THAT's out! This has to be simple and reliable enough to send my wife out for the bread in the morning and not be wondering how to manouvre the yacht in between the quay pilings and the caiques to recover her! I also need something that can be easily carried (initially) aboard a Britannia Airways flight in the hold. The Mariner weights are 13kg for the 2.5 and 14kg for the 3.3. I had a Mercury 2.5 on the last boat but you just can't touch (literally) a black Mercury in the heat of Greece. It was 32.5C when we left Gouvia Marina at 2am on Saturday.

Steve Cronin

Cobra

Visit site

Yes James, the Mercury and the Mariner are basically the same lumps under a differing brand name. I think that you will find the specs for both engines are identical Steve although as you say, the Mercurys colour scheme is not exactly designed for warmer climes!

<hr width=100% size=1>When God invented time he didn't give me enough of it. ND!

Seafort

Visit site

Nah look, you buy the Tohatsu and then replace the pin with the Mariner ss spares (easy to find).
QED.

Ps. If you knock the spark plug cover in the water, be quick, it sinks,all be it slowly.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

Dave.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Another reason for a model with a clutch.....

You can fresh water rinse it in a bucket without having to remove the prop.

Steve Cronin