Anyone had Wave Tape Applied to Their Sails?

savageseadog

Visit site
Wave tape. Generally applied to leeches and foot of sails anyone done it?
Was it applied both sides?
Stitched?
Successful?

EN_10.288.20%20new11.jpg

Last edited:

savageseadog

Visit site
It breaks up the forces acting to flutter the leech. It's often used on laminate sails where the leech has started to delaminate due to heavy use or flutter.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Having sailed 30+ different boats from 35 feet to 50 feet, including ours, and 20 years of chartering two or three times a year I have never seen a leech flutter, if it does it hasn't been tightened properly.

Clive

Visit site
Having sailed 30+ different boats from 35 feet to 50 feet, including ours, and 20 years of chartering two or three times a year I have never seen a leech flutter, if it does it hasn't been tightened properly.

Yes. I have had the wave tape added to all of my Kevlar sails.
Using normal tape the froward acts like a hard edge and can "crack" the Kevlar strands. Kevlar is great under tension but can fail when bent around sharp corners and constantly flexed . The wave breaks this edge effect up and spreads the loads over more threads in the cloth.

Works a treat

Daydream believer

Visit site
If there is any stretch in the sail cloth then when hard on the wind with a blade sail one might set the leech line to stop flutter. however, If the sheet is then eased a little for any reason the leech may well start to flutter again requiring a re set of the leech line. This can be annoying if one is, say , single handed or is constantly adjusting the sheet macro amounts.
Will the use of this tape help with that ?

I have a sail ( soon to be returned to the sailmaker) that flutters slightly in the upper third. To stop this I have to tension the leech line a lot which causes excessive curve in the lower third & hooking over the lower batten end.
If i could avoid the slight flutter in the top it would be OK

Venus1

Visit site
If there is any stretch in the sail cloth then when hard on the wind with a blade sail one might set the leech line to stop flutter. however, If the sheet is then eased a little for any reason the leech may well start to flutter again requiring a re set of the leech line. This can be annoying if one is, say , single handed or is constantly adjusting the sheet macro amounts.
Will the use of this tape help with that ?

I have a sail ( soon to be returned to the sailmaker) that flutters slightly in the upper third. To stop this I have to tension the leech line a lot which causes excessive curve in the lower third & hooking over the lower batten end.
If i could avoid the slight flutter in the top it would be OK
I have this problem too on my laminated furling genoa with uv strip. And as ol’will taught me here :) a sail is more likely to flutter when the leach is heavier than the bulk of the sail. The sailmaker put some hollow in the leach, giving only minor improvement. So I share Daydream’s frustration and the OP’s question.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I have this problem too on my laminated furling genoa with uv strip. And as ol’will taught me here :) a sail is more likely to flutter when the leach is heavier than the bulk of the sail. The sailmaker put some hollow in the leach, giving only minor improvement. So I share Daydream’s frustration and the OP’s question.

Watch out for cracks in the Mylar a the leading edge of the UV strip; often it creates a hinge, by virtue of being stiffer as well as heavier.