Anyone got an OVNI?

absit_omen

Visit site
Thinking about selling our 46ft steel ketch and ordering a new OVNI 435. The main advantage being the flexibility of lifting keel.
Comments from anybody who has any experience of this (or any other) OVNI. I have already been in e mail contact with Jimmy Cornell who seems to have little negative to say about them.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Someone's bound to raise the subject of the Ovnis' low AVS and with some justification because it is a bit startling. However, the boats have been designed for offshore and ocean sailing. They have weathered storms and bounced off reefs all over the globe and survived better than most marques. They have a reputation for being tough, reasonably quick and good sea boats although a bit prone to leeway when hard on the wind. My experience of them has been all favourable. Bearing in mind the lifting keel box, the accommodation is spacious and practical. Owners tend to be fanatics so treat with caution.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Re: AVS

I believe it's measured with the keel up. But since the Ovni keels are not really part of the ballast equation this doesn't make much difference. Most of the ballast is internal.

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
Yup, got an Ovni 395 on order and went through the AVS debate. Basically the AVS is c 117. Compared with what? 130+ for a Scandinavian something. However, with the Ovni you can keep the AVS up by installing such as radar on the arch and keeping weight low. On the other hand, what happens to AVS if you stick the radar up the mast and install such as in mast reefing? My view also is that when the boat's laying over beyond 90 degrees, first how did you get in that position since you should be watching the weather and most importantly doing something about controlling the boat so that it doesn't lay over at that angle. Second, if you are laying over beyond 90 degrees does the 130+ AVS person think smugly "ooh, glad I'm not in an Ovni cos I would only have another 17 degrees to go before inverting, but with my 130+ I can go over another 20+ degrees beyond the Ovni". Well you would wouldn't you, as you calmly sweep up the mess from stuff hurtling about down below. I do not want to tempt providence but there are hundreds of Ovni's sailing all over the world including Drake Passage and Le Maire Strait. Seems to me that there's a bit of a Yachting Monthly obsession with AVS that's hardly justified. As you say, if Jimmy Cornell thinks they are OK then it counts a lot. I'm looking forward to getting mine and sailing widely. Go for it, as the upsides of an aluminium boat and the lifting keel are mega. They are so strong too - bounce off floating containers and other debris. The welding, joinery and the fit out are very, very high standard - I'm smitten. However, I do not have the experience of some owners and I'll PM you with some web and e-mail addresses.

cozy

Visit site
What about the electrolysis/maintenance/electrical issues when comparing aluminium with steel. Presumably the former requires substantially less effort to maintain?

jamesjermain

Visit site
Maintenance of an alloy boat is different, but not necessarily more demanding than that of steel. Many alloy boats are not painted above the waterline and need no maintenance at all in the topsides and deck department - other than occasional cleaning; contrast this with keeping rust at bay on a steel yacht.

Below the waterline it's a different story. Electrolysis is a real problem, particularly in marinas where there may be lots of stray current flowing through the water from steel hulls and shore power installations. Sensible alloy boat owners dangle sacrificial anodes in the water linked by wire to the hull while moored. This usually solves the problem. Horror stories of pennies dropped in bilges eating through alloy hulls in days are largely mythical.

boomerangben

Visit site
AVS is a static thing any way and the only way a yacht will experience such angles of heel is during a very dynamic roll over. Perhaps we should make more of what the curve looks like beyond the AVS - you don't want the boat to be too stable when she is inverted.