Anyone got a Schenker Zen Watermaker?

geem

Visit site
A friend has one on his cat. The output had dropped to nothing. We didn't get to the bottom of why this was happening.
For the money/output, I would certainly avoid energy recovery watermakers and opt for 220v type where resilience and simplicity is far higher. With lithium batteries and an inverter it's easy to run a high output unit for a short duration each day. The wear and tear on such units is so low compared to 12v energy recovery types that need many hours of run time to make the same amount of water. We routinely made 60L of water in 15mins each day whilst in the warm Caribbean waters. The last time I looked at the meter we had made 165,000 litres since I installed it. Cost wise, a 220v unit is way cheaper and cheaper still if you build it yourself

Yngmar

Visit site
We've had one (boat now sold). We and several other boats got it the year it came out. There was an initial design flaw with the end brackets cracking due to insufficient material thickness, which they fixed under warranty, apologized and sent some free pickling packs. After that it ran well for years until we sold the boat. Watermakers are sensitive things and you need to understand how they work and follow the instructions, then they will work well.

The Zen 30 was the most compact one and used so little power we could run it on excess solar production, which was great. I changed the spun PP filter housing for a transparent one so I could see the filter state without opening it.

After thorough research, I've confirmed you must use their cleaning supplies, not the sodium metabisulphite you can get cheaper elsewhere as it is going to destroy the plastic parts. Although if you're living aboard you don't normally need to pickle it and can just keep flushing it when not in use for a while.

It was still doing 300ppm and the same 30l/h when we sold it.

I'd recommend it if you want an energy recovery one, especially if space is premium (most boats), as you can spread the components around and the main unit is fairly small and entirely hydraulic (no wires).

Zing

Visit site
I’ve had one for 3 years as a half the year liveaboard. Very happy. Reliable, very quiet, very energy efficient. I’ve still got my old high output 230v unit pickled and I hope in a working condition. Most components have been rebuilt or replaced, so it’s ready to go as a backup, but even with my best efforts it was so unreliable at 19 years of age that I got sick of it and bought the new Schenker. If I hadn’t got the old one as a backup, I’d get two Schenker 30s. If you go a/c, get a big output unit so you have to listen to it less.

geem

Visit site
I’ve had one for 3 years as a half the year liveaboard. Very happy. Reliable, very quiet, very energy efficient. I’ve still got my old high output 230v unit pickled and I hope in a working condition. Most components have been rebuilt or replaced, so it’s ready to go as a backup, but even with my best efforts it was so unreliable at 19 years of age that I got sick of it and bought the new Schenker. If I hadn’t got the old one as a backup, I’d get two Schenker 30s. If you go a/c, get a big output unit so you have to listen to it less.
Ours makes 240L/hr in the Caribbean. Where do you have yours located that you have to listen to it? Mine is in an acoustically enclosed engine room so not a big noise makers. Its quieter than the generator in it's acoustic enclosure within the engine room!

Zing

Visit site
Ours makes 240L/hr in the Caribbean. Where do you have yours located that you have to listen to it? Mine is in an acoustically enclosed engine room so not a big noise makers. Its quieter than the generator in it's acoustic enclosure within the engine room!
Mine is also in an acoustically insulated engine room. It's about the same noise as the genset, also in it's own secondary shield. A 2.0kW motor and a standard Cat pressure pump. Maybe your noise tolerance is less. The only noise I like is ACDC and not the electrical one.

geem

Visit site
Mine is also in an acoustically insulated engine room. It's about the same noise as the genset, also in it's own secondary shield. A 2.0kW motor and a standard Cat pressure pump. Maybe your noise tolerance is less. The only noise I like is ACDC and not the electrical one.
Either way, it's really not noisy and the run time is so low for our daily needs it's not invasive. We don't have to run it for hours like our old 12v watermaker and power is no problem

noelex

Visit site
The energy recovery watermakers such as Schenker and Spectra are significantly more electrically efficient. They can produce much more water per Wh (generally significantly less than 5 Whrs per L). This is invaluable if managing without a generator or without plugging into shore power. Over the last 16 years I have used Spectra (on two different boats) and would recommend them. I have not personally used the technically similar Schenker watermakers, but boats that I have met with these units seem happy.

I have also owned a non energy recovery watermaker which was not very satisfactory due to the large electrical energy demand and noise.

One thing to consider is availability of support and technical help available if you have an issue. Spectra have a wide network of dealers and stand by their product including a 10 year+ guarantee on the Clarke pump. I am not sure if Schenker match this level of support, but it is something to check.

On the other hand, If you regularly use a generator, or motor for long distances, a large capacity non energy recovery watermaker is generally the best solution.

Last edited:

lektran

Visit site
There's an owners group on Facebook for schenker with super responsive schenker reps. We have a Zen 30 but are still installing it so can't offer any feedback yet. If you're a CA member there's a discount available via mactra marine.

Zing

Visit site
On your boat
Obviously. I responded to your statement that my watermaker was not noisy by saying I disagreed with you. It is, even through my 2” of multi density layered acoustic insulation plus heavy plywood.

Objectively, AC watermakers make a racket. You would never have one in your saloon if you could avoid it without sound proofing.

It is possible to soundproof almost any noise by deploying enough resources. The real issues are then more about to what degree you are able to do that and about how much time and money to invest, if any. Or if you would prefer an energy recovery unit.

geem

Visit site
Obviously. I responded to your statement that my watermaker was not noisy by saying I disagreed with you. It is, even through my 2” of multi density layered acoustic insulation plus heavy plywood.

Objectively, AC watermakers make a racket. You would never have one in your saloon if you could avoid it without sound proofing.

It is possible to soundproof almost any noise by deploying enough resources. The real issues are then more about to what degree you are able to do that and about how much time and money to invest, if any. Or if you would prefer an energy recovery unit.
Just like you would never have a generator or engine in your saloon. You install them appropriately such that noise is not an issue. The great thing with them is super low run time compared to energy recovery watermakers. If you don't have a high output AC watermaker and you are runnjng that for many hours then you have the wrong AC watermaker

Daydream believer

Visit site
A friend of mine is doing the ARC Europe. They bought a brand new water maker at a cost circa £5K. Have not used it & it will be up for sale as soon as they return. They will be in the Azores Thursday & presumably back in the Uk by the end of the month. PM me if you want one at a reduced price.