Anyone go out today?

Pinnacle

Visit site
I did - for about 3 minutes........too much green stuff coming over the side for SWMBO's liking...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

drewstwos

Visit site
Hi

Yes ..went out this evening.. HW 2030 hrs. left at 1800 when when she floated. wind was about Westerly so went from Port ST Mary along the coast to the Calf Sound. could see white water on the other side, so closed in below the Restauant and had a good look at all the seals. Could see a bunch of people on the headland looking at us . probably wondering what we were doing there as it was getting rainy and windy and darkish. On the way back we stopped at the subsmerged fish supermarket, in about 60 ft of water and picked up a dozen nice mackerel. How do fish see in the dark down there...those feathers are almost invisible. Came in as the rain really came hissing down. Got some really nice video of the gulls fighting for the fish guts. we do that at sea rather than back on land.
But a very nive little jaunt all the same.
Hope the weather gets better though. its turning crap again here on the Fairet of ISles

enjoy your boating
Drew.

Nautorius

Visit site
Yep,

I went out, re-seaded the lawn, then walked to the pub for a pint! I did look at blowing my Inflatable up to clean but thought...Sod It!

Glad you were at least near your boat!

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MiskinDriver

Visit site
Yeah - on the Thames. Out through the barrier to QEII bridge but very wet and bouncy, wind getting up so, basically, got bored and came home at 25 knots or so. Back into Blackwall Reach when the overheat alarm went off. Did the usual, 'what's that noise then?' for a minute, then realised the temp gauge off the clock. Tied up to a handily moored PLA barge, told VTS what was happening, checked out engine and nothing obviously wrong. After letting it cool for 10 mins, checked out the temp on the gauge and it was back to normal. Run slow, everything OK. Rubbish over the raw water intake I guess. Went back to South Dock at 25 kts, ran at perfect temp.

Back in, cleaned up in really heavy rain. Great morning, if just a little damp.

Many cruisers, yachts and even narrowboats around - busy old day out there.

New 'adventure' cruise ship, FRAM, moored at Tower Bridge left, well before HW, and turned in the Lower Pool with minimal tug assistance. Good to watch, but best to give them plenty of room .....

Good day.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Doing a bit of fettling on the mooring.
These planes went by.
There's been a lot this week. Some kind of Nato exercise it seems.

Natoexercise.jpg

clivew05

Visit site
Yep went out for the weekend to Chatham - came back on the 7th which was a lot worse - very choppy in the thames estuary - upper 6 7 forecast but had to get home - so went for it - not too bad. Getting back into the crouch was fun though wind over tide - got a little wet /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and there was a yacht going round in cirlces as well - each time i dissapeard behind a wave - when I surfaced - he was facing a different direction! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I didnt know what he was doing and he was still at it when I went passed - he was under motor and no sails up .... mind you no sight of land so maybe his compass / GPS was stuffed and he was hoping to follow someone in!!! ...

Wiggo

Visit site
Yes, went out Friday night on YM prep till 3am Saturday. Wild, but great fun. Turns out that if you stuff the bow on an F37 the hawse pipe chucks a jet of water over the flybridge windscreen and straight into the helmsman's face. And my oilies leak.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Yes, I spent from 09.30 to 17.30 out on the water on Saturday. Kept to the Menai Strait, but spent most of the time just outside Port Dinorwic anchored in half a metre of water fishing for bass against the sandbank opposite the faux castle that has just been sold at auction for a report £750,000

497685356_a2655d57f6.jpg

My fish free zone was particuarly impressive on Saturday as the concentration of fish on the edge of the zone was so great this feller had no problem picking thm off.

497685360_38b5d73706.jpg

So I kept myself busy by cooking the catch of the day and brewing copious mugs of tea.

497685352_ebd665dd35.jpg

Later, as the tide came in, the wind got up to around 5 or 6 at times and the waves that were previously hidden from me by the sand bar you can see in the picture below, got quite lumpy as the tide came in. SOme serious clouds can be seen over the mountains.

497687150_ab9e45ba86_b.jpg

I had great difficulty in hauling in the anchor and in the end had to do something I am not too happy about and that is put the motor into slow ahead and then walk forward and haul the anchor in. At least if I fell off, I could have run after it, it was so shallow!

As a consequence of my abortive attempts to bring in the anchor, I have scraped the side of my stainless steel pulpit and am wondering if I can polish the scrapes out.

I did have my Alderney Ring deployed but I am sure it is set up wrong, but I will post the problem in a seperate thread.

All in all a nice day out.

I didn't go out Sunday, as the forecast was for rain, rain and more rain, but in fact is was nice for all of the day until about 6 PM. So I painted the house and moved furniture out, ready for a new tenant.

djefabs

Visit site
Graham I'm surprised that you have not found this out before. Real hydraulic effect of water that usually hits you as you look up after ducking the waves that want to get on the flybridge with you. Even worse in the dark because you can't see it coming. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rickp

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Even worse in the dark because you can't see it coming. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That works to your favour if you're sat behind the helmsman - as he makes a great shield /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rick