Anyone for LPG?

pbdrivers

Visit site
Hi all. I am considering buying a RIB.
I do a fair amount of hours per year, over 150, so fuel economy is an issue.
First choice would be diesel inboard but the cost new and indeed second hand may be prohibitive. Someone suggested buying an outboard engined RIB and having it converted to run on LPG. I understand the safety issues it raises as opposed to diesel and I have got as far as finding out the cost of conversion. At present LPG is about 30-35 pence per litre so is about the same as diesel per unit. It is becoming a fairly attractive prospect when weighing up the cost of initial outlay versus economy, the old question that is raised between diesel and petrol alternatives. Availability seems pretty good and I can always switch the engine over to run on petrol if I get stuck.........what I would like to hear is any information whatsoever, pros or cons, that will help me to come to a decision. Something I am not usually very good at but like to be sure before parting with vast amounts of dosh.
Thanks to all of you in advance.
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>Please help, every time I learn something new it pushes out the old stuff.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Good luck...

One thing to remember with dual fuel (LPG & Petrol) is that you need two storage units + feed.
Do you have room for this onboard the RIB ?
Also, how would carrying a full load of the two affect trim / performance / handling ? (...do you need more power ?).

I would assume that the 150 hrs /year is based upon some sort of sea miles covered... would increase / decrease of speed affect this number for you, which may impact annual figures ?

Personally, and for that number of hours, I would consider diesel as a viable alternative power unit, perhaps coupled to a nice waterjet. This would allow a diesel reving at <4K rpm to run without the need for a gearbox, reducing the initial cost of engine. Athough increasing propulsion cost, it will reduce the maintenance cost of a sterndrive...

<hr width=100% size=1>Alf