Anyone familiar with the inner workings of a 2-in-1 Morse/Teleflex throttle assembly?

lampshuk

Visit site
My 1988 Moody's throttle assembly has become stuck in gear.
I disconnected it from its mount and the gearbox & cable are fine.
The "disengage" pin springs back when depressed (but possibly not far enough)

The levers all work correctly and there is no problem with the clips holding the cable to the main assembly.

I've cracked open the control case and carefully dismantled the unit down to the main control "pillar" and attached flange.

It appears to me (see attached photo) that the retaining pin ought to engage in the slot in the flange, but it doesn't, and the pillar/flange assembly seems to be fused.
Does anyone know if it's supposed to look like this? And if not, how to rotate the pillar to bring the pin in line with the slot?

As always, any advice much appreciated!

1696341898558.png

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Your pic only shows one side of the cross pin/groove assembly. The pin is clearly not seated into its groove.

I had a pin shear. This left it in ahead,the last gear selected before it sheared. Moving the lever made no difference, it stayed in ahead.

The cross pin is what moves the selector shaft. If it is sheared or loose it wont work.

If the centre shaft is siezed or stuck it keeps it in the last gear selected as the pin cannot fit into the groove.

lampshuk

Visit site
Thanks, Rotrax.
The other end of the pin is intact.
So it looks like the shaft has seized. Application of heat to the flange to loosen?

lampshuk

Visit site
By the way, to dismantle the case I drilled out the 6 pillars that hold it together. Was this actually necessary?
And what's the best way to reassemble? Through-bolt, or self-tapping into the pillar stubs?

(sorry - I'm being greedy for advice, but you sound like you know what you're talking about!)

Come to think of it: did you fix your sheared pin?

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
The one I repaired was the same. I filed the mazac case flat and using the cover as a jig drilled and tapped it to take 4mm short screws.

Good Luck!
Thanks, Rotrax.
The other end of the pin is intact.
So it looks like the shaft has seized. Application of heat to the flange to loosen?
Hold the large piece in a vise with soft jaws and turn the flat on the shaft with a spanner. It should revolve easily and then drop the pin into the pin recess. My prefered penatrating oil-from an earlier PBO tip-is 50/50 TQF and Acetone. If that wont free it, knock the pin out and separate the two parts. The problem can then be addressed.

lampshuk

Visit site
Quick update: applying a bit more force as suggested did indeed get it turning and it was soon out:
1696501390600.png

The disengage pin slides in and out easily, so hopefully just a bit of cleanup and reassembly required.

Might tap straight in to the casing or possibly fit some S/S helical coils. TBD.