anybody sailed a moody 33?

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Owned one since \'94

Cheers for all that Pete
Sounds fine
not sure about how the motor sailer comments get me tho.altho a bit of banditry sounds fun

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>

townquay

Visit site
I own one with a couple of mates and sail every week (ish). I (we) also do longer passages as far as time allows. There is a comprehensive report on a past issue of Sailing Today.
The boat is a good sailer and loves a bit of rough. She really does plough through the big 'uns better that other boats I've had and leaves me with a sense of utter confidence in her abilities.
BUT it's not a particularly fast boat. I bought mine because there are three blokes in our informal partnership (plus wives when they feel like a bit of sailing)
and the 'domestic' layout is great.
I always use the stern cabin as I find it most comfy etc although it has no directly available heads (The heads are off the main saloon). There are three marques and the Mk.lll has the stern cabin joined to the saloon etc by an internal passageway so I guess that'd be the best version.
The engine is usually a 1500c.c. Thornycroft ( a marinised Brit. Leyland) and I'm told that it'virtually ever-lasting.
If you want a day-sail we're moored in Southampton quay and I'd be pleased to oblige. Just contact me.
In fact one was purchased straight from the manufacturers and sailed to the USA 7 days later after having self-steering fitted.
This is a strong boat as all Moodys tend to be.
(p.s. Ours was left in the water unused by the previous owner for 9 years and there was no osmosis whatsoever.)

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site

On the whole I think IRC do a reasonable job - but a boat like a Moody, or my own for that matter, will never be competitive under a rule that takes comparatively few measurements. What is more it also depends a lot on the race itself.

My own boat is very like a Contessa, the dimensions are almost identical so she has a very similar rating. Like most "cruiser/racers" of her generation she loves going to windward and close hauled she will match other boats rated much faster, particularly in heavier conditions. Downwind it is a different matter, there is no way she will plane, so beamier boats have a distinct advantage.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsalt

Visit site

Are there different Moody 33's? Reason I ask is that the centre cockpit one that I have sailed in and raced against is nothing remotely like a Contessa.

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Re: petemck

The Warrior 40 was designed by Bill Dixon, for your information, although you are correct that the old warrior 35 was designed by primrose.. and what a pig to sail that boat is!!
Anyway I no longer own a Warrior.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PeteMcK

Visit site

I did the 2003 Scottish Series last week in a UFO 31, which has a similar underbody to the Contessa (and, yes..., almost identical CYCA handicap to the Moody... and Sadler, Contessa, etc.). The overnight race involved a beat out towards the North Channel, in winds building to F8 by the time we reached the mark. She was able more or less to hold her own until we turned (and with a more pleasant motion than the Moody, I'll admit). Broad reaching, I struggled to get her to surf better than 9.5 knots and averaged about 7.5; my own boat's sibling rival was reportedly into the 13s on white sails alone, finishing almost 3 hours ahead of us and 2nd in Class. Round the cans at Tarbert, on the few occasions when it went light, it was a different story altogether. All of which confirms what you say, but that's, truly, the fascination of handicap racing - pitching one design against another (with at least some measure of fairness thrown in).

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Re: Bill Dixon

That was true, once, but Angus Primrose died some time ago, fallen overboard from a high sided Moody, designed by himself, and could not get back aboard. poor chap. This is true, by the way!!
Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
Re: Ownership

See my Post.
Actually, I have not sold it yet, just trying to forgt about it and get on with the new boat. Too many people buying new bavs me thinks!

<hr width=100% size=1>