Any South of France, winter recommendations ?

blampied

Visit site
We're currently in Toulon!
While it's nice here. There is a lovely street market and there are a few French and Swiss liveaboards we have met, we have yet to come across any British or English speaking winter liveaboards. (And a shortage of powere points means 240v power has a habit of getting disconnected). We would appreciate somewhere with a bit more winter live aboard community feel.

Are there any plus points for heading further east?
Grimaud
Saint Raphael
Cannes
Antibes
Nice ? Etc?

chinita

Visit site
IME, The number one priority for U.K. Liveaboards wintering in the Med is HEAT! Not something which the SoF can guarantee.

Probably the northernmost enclave will be in Barca.

If I were to winter in SoF my choice would be Sete. Cheap, unpretentious and quirky. I was visiting friends there a few weeks ago and there were actually FREE moorings available - but they swore me to secrecy not to tell anybody.

lindsay

Visit site
Toulon is cold as well as Sete. The warmest place by far on the French Med coast is Beaulieu sur Mer with an active marina life, an established French town and many english speakers. lots of expats if that is what you want.

There is a massive cliff behind that protects from the winds and absorbs the heat of the sun. In jan/feb temps at Beaulieu frequently 3 to 5 deg C warmer than even nearby Nice. In the summer it is too hot, up to a stifling 40 deg.

Big supermarket in the town and Nice and Monaco 1.50 euros by train or bus with all day timetables.
excellent trains to Nice airport for Easyjet.

See the Michael Caine film Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

However if you really want to daysail throughout the winter several marinas around the by of Cannes are better ie Juan les Pins, Golf Juan, Antibes, Cannes, La Napoule all facing the Iles de Lerins.

If you leave soon it should take 2 or 3 days to get there. stop offs, at Le Lavandou, Cavalaire, Port Grimaud, Cannes bay ports. Weather looks good. Sunny antcyclone.Went sailing yesterday and aim to go out later

blampied

Visit site
Thank you both for the advice.
Lindsay:- Beaulieu sounds just what we are looking for.
We are paid up here in Toulon until 1st January, so won't be moving until after then.
Please can you advise, I have just phoned Beaulieu Marina to enquire about staying 2 or 3 months from middle of Jan. The lady that answered the phone said she was in a meeting and couldn't talk long but there is a waiting list and I would need to apply on line to be added. Any idea if this is just a fob off, is there actually a waiting list?
Being a small sub 10m, slow chugger of a motor boat, it will us take several days of good winter weather to travel that distance. Would I be better just turning up and staying on the day rate for a couple of days then asking to stay a couple of months?

lindsay

Visit site
Difficult to advise without knowing your family risk attitudes. However 'without prejudice' as i have learnt from the lawyers, here goes

1 If you are under 10m i myself would simply go there, take whatever they have, and talk. The young lady has an excellent mastery of English disguised by a strong French accent which sometimes makes it difficult on the phone.

l have 9 m. I have lived there for a total of seven years out of the last 19 years on annual berths and the waiting list is what they always say when i go back once a year to revisit. Never had a problem. They will give you no satisfaction in advance over phone or email.

2. Any or all of the stopovers will be fine for 10m casual overnite plus Bormes near Le Lavandou (a great placr BTW) and st Laurent near Nice Airport only ten miles from Beaulieu so you can coastal hop at will.

If you did get stuck with Beaulieu, highly unlikely for one night at least by the petrol pump, Cap D'Ail is 5 miles up the road towards Monaco, Menton and Italy.

3.Why not one day soon get up early and toddle up to Toulon main station and take the first TER to Nice and change for Beaulieu? If you time it right there are also trains direct to and from Beaulieu itself. You can return in one day, cheaper, but bear in mind its dark from 5.15 so return in the evening.

4. You can also hire a car but be aware that rush hour traffic right the way from Toulon to Nice is HORRENDOUS and there and back in one day would be a minor exploit. The TGV train is not worth the additional cost for such a distance.

5. You could also overnite at Beaulieu to get a better feel of the place. Check out the expat bars and restaurants. Le Grand Cafe in the central square is a good starting place.

Hotels range from 2 star to 5 star. Check by phone before to see if they are open at this time of the year. You cant go wrong even with the cheaper hotels. This an elegant town with a touch of yesteryear and they keep it relatively clean and safe.

By checking it out by land beforehand you can reassure yourselves its what you want and even get some positive murmurings form the port office re your stay itself. You can also double check that there is nothing 'orrible happening like port reconstruction or closure for example

Good luck.

PS It is eminently "doable"!

blampied

Visit site
Hi Lindsay

Ok I'm convinced.
Will depart here head your way when we spot a weather window in January.
We will probabally break the trip down into three thirty mile hops.
Probably see you middle of Jan
Best regards Paul

blampied

Visit site
Hi Lindsay
Sorry not been in contact,( I lost sign on password)
We ended up stuck in Toulon for remainder of the winter, we were going to move when we got back to the boat after two weeks back home for Xmas. Unfortunately the weather had other plans, damn wind kept blowing every time month end came around (day rate is extortionate in Toulon, month rate is only from 1st of month) causing us to keep re book for next month.

We have now made it to Beaulieu for a look at what we missed out on,
nice place.

Best regards
Paul

blampied

Visit site
Hi Lindsay
Sorry not been in contact,( I lost sign on password)
We ended up stuck in Toulon for remainder of the winter, we were going to move when we got back to the boat after two weeks back home for Xmas. Unfortunately the weather had other plans, damn wind kept blowing every time month end came around (day rate is extortionate in Toulon, month rate is only from 1st of month) causing us to keep re book for next month.

We have now made it to Beaulieu for a look at what we missed out on,
nice place.

Best regards
Paul

lindsay

Visit site
Glad you made it. I bet it already feels like summer this week? A pleasant jaunt round the corner to Villefranche by boat, or a 20 mins 1.50 euro bus to Nice or Monaco???

I am currently in the UK but returning soon to the SOF. Probably go to the French islands Port Cros and Porquerolles but if wind decides otherwise may come your way.

Have a good season!