Any Significant racing rule change in the last 20 years?

TSB240

Visit site
Ok This is the reason for the question.

I am hoping to take part in a not too serious Pursuit race helming our 30 foot yacht next weekend

I think my last racing experience was probably 15 or maybe even 20 years past!

I used to compete at Championship level in a well supported 14 foot dinghy class. Fleets of 100 plus (My rule knowledge was pretty poor then to be honest but I survived!)

I will of course attend a briefing, read NOR's and check the sailing instructions.

Insurance is sorted.

I am not at all concerned about the start line issues as I intend to be quite alone at my start time!

The only sailing qualification I have is a certificate from my club that allowed "Juniors" to helm with the "Adults" on an inland lake awarded to me aged 10 in 1964!

I soon found out that most of the adults had little or no rule knowledge other than the odd one out who attended Open meetings and the National Championship! He very kindly gave me the Paul Elvstrom kit and rules explanation to read and learn.

Unfortunately for him he disappeared in mysterious circumstances whilst racing a yacht for the first time!

Can anyone explain any key changes to the rules in the last 20 years to bring me up to date and possibly avoid the same fate!

Steve

flaming

Visit site
Only thing that I can think of is mast abeam, that's gone.

Otherwise, to be honest if it's a not serious pursuit race, and you understand port and starboard, and windward / leeward, you'll not got too far wrong.
Otherwise to summarise the rules..

If you happen to arrive at a mark at the same time as anyone else the guy on the inside gets to go round it first.
If you tack or gybe you have to give everyone time to react to you.
If you change course you have to give everyone time to react to you.
Don't crash into the back of the guy in front

For that level of racing, I think that's all you really need.

TSB240

Visit site
Only thing that I can think of is mast abeam, that's gone.

Otherwise, to be honest if it's a not serious pursuit race, and you understand port and starboard, and windward / leeward, you'll not got too far wrong.
Otherwise to summarise the rules..

If you happen to arrive at a mark at the same time as anyone else the guy on the inside gets to go round it first.
If you tack or gybe you have to give everyone time to react to you.
If you change course you have to give everyone time to react to you.
Don't crash into the back of the guy in front

For that level of racing, I think that's all you really need.

Top Man Flaming..

A Brilliant summary for the layman!
I still recognise your last four key points! Whilst the first two are inherent in any form of sailing.

So luffing the fast boys and waiting for the mast abeam shout would not have been a good idea.:eek:

And the good old Slam dunk and parking under their lee bow is a now a definite no no?:encouragement:.

A quick look at the rules tonight I see that it is possible for the organisers to use srs and introduce the optional alternatives to the 2 boat length rule for overlaps at turning marks.

Three changes that could have meant a big hole in my boat!:encouragement:

Have these rule changes reduced insurance claims?

Racecruiser

Visit site
Maybe worth knowing the 2 length rule for water at a mark became 3 lengths a few years ago.

I see you mention 'slam dunk and parking under the lee bow', however I don't believe there is anything to prevent a lee bow tack as long as you don't obstruct the other boat. Can be a great result as they fall back inline astern or are forced to tack away - course it's all about t-t--t- timing!

Hadenough

Visit site
Top Man Flaming..

A Brilliant summary for the layman!
I still recognise your last four key points! Whilst the first two are inherent in any form of sailing.

So luffing the fast boys and waiting for the mast abeam shout would not have been a good idea.:eek:

And the good old Slam dunk and parking under their lee bow is a now a definite no no?:encouragement:.

A quick look at the rules tonight I see that it is possible for the organisers to use srs and introduce the optional alternatives to the 2 boat length rule for overlaps at turning marks.

Three changes that could have meant a big hole in my boat!:encouragement:

Have these rule changes reduced insurance claims?

And you lot do this in the same space as normal people!

TSB240

Visit site
River festival Pursuit Race.jpgWe didnt hit anyone or anything!

Well more than by good luck at the first event of the Conway River Festival.

Cracking Start windward pin end on the gun on the line for our start going flat out!

It was down hill from then on.

My excuses have been well prepared.......

Everybody was on the NHC base number and I thing 0.92 for a sub 30 footer was asking some to start with!

A race prepared Sigma 36 starting only a very short time after us and all the boats on our start gun appeared to be considerably longer!

A combined crew age of 189 years

Some knackered sails!

Course was windward leeward with no decent reach to allow us to do a bit of surfing

Dont know result as I couldn't see the boats in front (too far ahead!) to estimate our final position there were a few retirements including a friend who was lucky not to lose his rig after a cap shroud parted.

Yep I enjoyed it but three up in 25 knots of wind was not enough weight on the rail for the big genny and full main!

We did better in the second event of the day!

We were first to the bar at Liverpool Arms in Menai Bridge in the second part of the LA LA rally!
We had completed the visit to the Liverpool Arms in Conwy the night before!

Just a torn Jib and an empty wallet to repair!

Steve

lpdsn

Visit site
Windward Leeward courses are a bit tough for occasional racers as they favour boats with practised teamwork at boat handling (sail handling), so maybe a bit unfair there. Still, as long as you had fun.

Triassic

Visit site
Dont know result as I couldn't see the boats in front (too far ahead!) to estimate our final position......

I thought the whole idea of pursuit racing was whoever was at the front at the finish time wins..... If you couldn't see anyone ahead at the finish you either won it, or someone got the handicap start times seriously wrong! My local club does lots of pursuit racing as it's easy to organise on a river course and it avoids any start line issues..... I start over an hour after the first boat (it's only a two hour race!) and we frequently finish with several boats within yards of each other.

lpdsn

Visit site
Not sure that I'd agree that favouring teamwork, preparation and sail handling makes for an unfair race.

It doesn't normally. In fact racing against good IRC boats on a windward leeward is good fun. It does however separate experienced racers from inexperienced racers far more rapidly than other sorts of courses, which I do think is a bit unfair on inexperienced racers who have been brought into an event that is aimed at being inclusive. Better to give tham a course which will give them a chance of not being beaten so readily.

TSB240

Visit site
Triassic;5771672If you couldn't see anyone ahead at the finish you either won it said:
It was the first race of the "series" so no adjusted NHC handicaps. They were using base list. Still no result posted as I think it is subject to a protest against the RO!

I had no aspirations to win our first race for 25 years!

But my experience of a first race under NHC base list was that I enjoyed it but it gave no incentive to have another go!

I also see that the results of two subsequent races show a rapid adjustment of handicap so that two of the smaller boats that we didnt see for dust are now handicapping nearer scratch which would have given us a chance!

It also has promoted the boats which we were with at the back of the fleet to a point nearer the front which gives some incentive to carry on and try harder.....

So why not use last years results to start with and only add new entries at base list makes more sense if you are trying to encourage occasional new entrants to become regulars.

I am going cruising this weekend.

I doubt I will be bothering with racing again this season or next!