Any Recommendations for a 1000/2000w pure sign wave inverter

Concerto

Visit site
Are you certain it's pure sine wave? I've heard of some fairly dodgy practices with the cheaper inverters.
Before I bought this one I did a lot of checking and remember seeing a test report confirming it was a pure sign wave not a modified sign wave. They do also manufacture modified sign wave inverters at a much lower price. They are not resellers but manufacturers selling their own products.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It is only connected when I need some 240V and not connected to shorepower.

It's entirely your choice, but using unfused croc clip cables is asking for trouble.

Can i ask, how do you use it ? Do you just plug the microwave into it, or does it connect to you onboard 3 pin sockets ?

Concerto

Visit site
It's entirely your choice, but using unfused croc clip cables is asking for trouble.

Can i ask, how do you use it ? Do you just plug the microwave into it, or does it connect to you onboard 3 pin sockets ?
At present I do not have a microwave. Anything is plugged directly into the inverter. I will investigate the Anderson clips and an inline fuse. Thank you for you advice.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
I fitted one of these (2000W 4000W Pure Sine Wave power inverter DC 12V TO AC 240V Trip converter New | eBay) to a mates boat after his original one failed when we were in Gibraltar on our way to Barbados. It happily powered a microwave, small washing machine and an air fryer (not all at the same time...). The only hassle was running the remote control wire from the inverter to control panel.
Edited to add: The link isn’t to exactly the one I fitted, as that one didn’t have 3 pin sockets but screw terminals to enable it to be permanently linked to the boat 240v system. Note Paul Rainbow’s reminder that such an inverter needs to be linked to the boat earthing system as as to ensure the RCD etc works properly.

Do you have a link to the hard wired version?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It's getting late, so i'll be brief, not aimed at anyone in particular and at risk of repeating myself:

Do not underestimate how dangerous an inverter can be. Just because it's a little box connected to your batteries does not mean it cannot kill you. The 240v AC current from an inverter is the same stuff that comes down the fat cables to your house. If not treated with due respect it can kill you stone dead.

Inverters with 3 pin sockets. These are generally best used stand alone. Plug your appliances directly into the sockets, or use an extension lead. Possibly fit a socket or two and connect to the inverter with a suitable cable, plugged into the inverter (basically a posh extension lead). It is possible to connect some of these to the boats onboard consumer unit, via an appropriate changeover switch, but it must be remembered that to do so, the neutral and earth must be bonded at the inverter or the RCD will not work. This would mean bridging the connections in the plug that's plugged into the inverter, but a great many of this type of inverter cannot have this connection made.

If the inverter has screw/bolt on terminals it may be possible to use it as stand alone (as above0 or hard wired to the boat consumer unit, via a suitable changeover switch. As with any inverter (indeed, any AC power source) the neutral and earth must be bonded at the inverter or the RCD will not work. But do not assume that just because it has bolt on terminals the neutral/earth are bonded (or can be bonded).

So the golden rule here (and this really is a golden rule, absolutely set in stone) is that if the inverter cannot have the neutral and earth bonded at the inverter, you absolutely must not, under any circumstances, connect it to the boats consumer unit and that includes making leads up to plug it into the incoming shore power inlet.

Also, the cables from the battery to the inverter must be fused at the battery.

Please, stay safe.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
It's getting late, so i'll be brief, not aimed at anyone in particular and at risk of repeating myself:

Do not underestimate how dangerous an inverter can be. Just because it's a little box connected to your batteries does not mean it cannot kill you. The 240v AC current from an inverter is the same stuff that comes down the fat cables to your house. If not treated with due respect it can kill you stone dead.

Inverters with 3 pin sockets. These are generally best used stand alone. Plug your appliances directly into the sockets, or use an extension lead. Possibly fit a socket or two and connect to the inverter with a suitable cable, plugged into the inverter (basically a posh extension lead). It is possible to connect some of these to the boats onboard consumer unit, via an appropriate changeover switch, but it must be remembered that to do so, the neutral and earth must be bonded at the inverter or the RCD will not work. This would mean bridging the connections in the plug that's plugged into the inverter, but a great many of this type of inverter cannot have this connection made.

If the inverter has screw/bolt on terminals it may be possible to use it as stand alone (as above0 or hard wired to the boat consumer unit, via a suitable changeover switch. As with any inverter (indeed, any AC power source) the neutral and earth must be bonded at the inverter or the RCD will not work. But do not assume that just because it has bolt on terminals the neutral/earth are bonded (or can be bonded).

So the golden rule here (and this really is a golden rule, absolutely set in stone) is that if the inverter cannot have the neutral and earth bonded at the inverter, you absolutely must not, under any circumstances, connect it to the boats consumer unit and that includes making leads up to plug it into the incoming shore power inlet.

Also, the cables from the battery to the inverter must be fused at the battery.

Please, stay safe.
MAny thanks for that much appreciated
Can I ask a wee question to tax your brain,
If the inverter is not earth bonded is it ok to use a double pole RCD I might have that mixed up , but I assume the cheaper models have a floating earth.
Or I’m of the button .
Had a wee whisky , anyways will a double pole RCD unit help to what you were explaining

PaulRainbow

Visit site
MAny thanks for that much appreciated
Can I ask a wee question to tax your brain,
If the inverter is not earth bonded is it ok to use a double pole RCD I might have that mixed up , but I assume the cheaper models have a floating earth.
Or I’m of the button .
Had a wee whisky , anyways will a double pole RCD unit help to what you were explaining

If the inverter is not neutral/earth bonded it should not be connected to the boat systems.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
This would mean bridging the connections in the plug that's plugged into the inverter, but a great many of this type of inverter cannot have this connection made.
Is there a way to test a particular inverter to see if it will support bridging the earth/neutral?

PS thanks for your very detail and informative post.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Is there a way to test a particular inverter to see if it will support bridging the earth/neutral?

PS thanks for your very detail and informative post.

There are ways, but it's not something i'd want to give advice about.

Inverter threads on here are the most dangerous ones by far, even more dangerous than the recent 3-phase thread. People fit them and wire them up in the most peculiar ways and just because they seem to power the appliances they they plug into them they assume they are working properly. It seems a lot of people consider price before safety.

So my advice is, if it has a 3 pin plug, plug your appliances into it, with or without an extension lead. If you want an inverter to power onboard electrical systems, buy a decent one with bolt on cable connections, that can have neutral/earth bonding.

Last edited:
Reactions: pvb

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
There are ways, but it's not something i'd want to give advice about.

Inverter threads on here are the most dangerous ones by far, even more dangerous than the recent 3-phase thread. People fit them and wire them up in the most peculiar ways and just because they seem to power the appliances they they plug into them they assume they are working properly. It seems a lot of people consider price before safety.

So my advice is, if it has a 3 pin plug, plug your appliances into it, with or without an extension lead. If you want an inverter to power onboard electrical systems, buy a decent one with bolt on cable connections, that can have neutral/earth bonding.
I'd be interested to know what the issues are... without any advice on what to do.

As of now I have no shore power system at all. My current plan is something very simple:

Shore power cable to a galvonic islator then garage type consumer unit.

Bond earth to boat negative.

2 single sockets in gally area (safely away from the sink) for a kettle and a microwave.

Double socket with usb charging ports for other stuff if required.

That will all work fine when away on holiday in marinas. Boat lives on a swinging mooring so would not normally be connected to mains.

I would also like to power the 600w microwave (1000w input) to heat the odd pasty etc (2 to 3 mins max) when out for the day. I will run the engine to mitigate the demand on the battery.

So what is the issue with connecting the very limited shore power system into an inverter when not in a marina?

Potentially I could just have a second socket on an 'extension lead' for use with the inverter/microwave as there is no space in the gally area for the microwave.

I have no other need for 240v when not in a marina...