Any idea who she is, and how she ended up here?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I saw this pretty little yacht at the Carnache, Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. I have no idea of her name or history. Does anyone have any ideas? I will ask a local contact - but she is in South Georgia right now, and so not available!

She looks as if she's probably beyond repair; but the Falklands weather is kind to wood, and you never know. She is certainly beyond my skills, though.

View attachment 9824

View attachment 9825

Woodlouse

Visit site
I can't give you any details about the boat but that side shown is the good side. Half the starboard side is missing if I recall. I don't think you'd find much reusable in a rebuild.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I'm not surprised at that. I did wonder though - someone has thought it worth-while putting a coat of metallic primer on the exposed side - the silver colour in the photos isn't old wood, it is primer.

I am NOT interested in a rescue job - I suspect she is beyond all but the most heroic restoration efforts, and I am only visiting Stanley for a short time on business. But I am curious about her; she looks as if she may well have an interesting history behind her.

Woodlouse

Visit site
I'd have asked about her when I was there two years ago. Can't for the life of me remember the answer though which probably means the chap I asked didn't know. Looked at my pictures too, seems I only took the one of that boat from the same place you did.:(

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I do have a yachting contact in the Falklands, but she is currently in South Georgia - she routinely sails between the two! She may well know something, as she is interested in history. I'll drop her an email, and when I get a response, I'll post it here.

bf494.co.uk
there's a lot of very old boat hulked around the falklands. Including one built by my great great great grandad - the 'The Vicar of Bray' built 1841, and forms the end of the pier at goose green I believe

often thought it would be great to get down there and set foot onboard, as all i've ever seen are a few internet pics, doubt it will happen as its not what you'd call easily accessible!

but if your contact down there has any decent pics of her I'd love to see some

chrduke

Visit site
she has been at the Canache for years, i have a lot of family down in Stanley ( My mum is a fifth generation islander) and the boat was there, in pretty much that state in 1987. the canache is a great place, full of interesting old boats - like a lowestoft steam drifter. I will have a dig around and see if i can find my pictures from when i went back in 2000, took alot of photos round there. I will leave you one now, this is my next project ( she's being shipped this summer to the uk) she was the tug on the family farm at Salvador, and will be gracing norfolk soon!

reginaldon

Visit site
Fred Drift,

I fear any visits will need to be soon, before the Falklands become the Malvinas, since Cameron has all but destroyed the Navy amd the Air Force how can we defend them? Of course we can always call on France to share an Aircraft Carrier, but remember they supplied the 'Argies' with the Exocets!

Seajet

Visit site
Sorry about the thread drift...

Reginaldon, I know you weren't serious, but just to point out to others the French were very helpful in 1982, they stopped support and further sales of the Exocet, giving UK the no's already sold; and gave our Harriers training against Mirages etc.

I agree about the defence cuts; for my money, Cameron & co should be shot for treason - if you think I'm joking, line them up and pass me a big machine gun !:mad:

Back to thread, I've often wondered about the historic wrecks around thr Falklands, if someone hasn't already done it there's scope there for a good book ?

Woodlouse

Visit site
Carrying on the drift a bit, I think the Falklands are currently garrisoned with enough troops and equipment to give any invading force a very hard time. Remember back in '82 there were only about 80 Royal Marines for defense. Now there are over 1500 troops with air support.

Also, the argies armed forces are in a piss poor state these days. Even Chile isn't scared of them any more.

Poignard

Visit site
I saw this pretty little yacht at the Carnache, Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. I have no idea of her name or history. Does anyone have any ideas? I will ask a local contact - but she is in South Georgia right now, and so not available!

She looks as if she's probably beyond repair; but the Falklands weather is kind to wood, and you never know. She is certainly beyond my skills, though.

View attachment 9824

View attachment 9825

The boat she's 'rafted up on' looks interesting too. Maybe your local contact can tell us something about her too.

chrduke

Visit site
There are in fact two lowestoft drifters down there, they were bought and used as fisheries vessels. Both of them were shipped to Montivideo and then onto the islands. One is pretty much a boiler and keel the other is more complete. Im still digging on the photo's. I have some pictures on my flickr account of the family launch as i seem to have stuffed up posting them on here!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49285196@N04/sets/72157623721427183/

with regard to a book about the wrecks, there are a couple, i think i even have copies of them at home. obviously the famous one is already back here. but there are hundreds of others, such as the lady Liz at the end of stanley harbour.

http://www.submerged.co.uk/stanley elizabeth.php

i think there is also an east indiaman doen there, it was of course, the only port you could make once you had been hammered around cape horn. Oh and with regard to the thread drift, the argentine soldiers didnt map their own mine fields, and they mined the best landing sites - priceless! I hope it does not happen, i still have a lot of family down there and its a beautiful place to visit!

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
For those interested in Falklands wrecks, there is a recent publication called "Beneath Falklands Waters" by David Eynon (South Atlantic Publications, ISBN 9780956391209), which gives an excellent summary of the many wrecks around the Falklands. It includes the two drifters at the Carnache, but not the smaller yacht, which I'd remind people is what the thread is about ;)

Lady Elizabeth is still in reasonably good condition (her bowsprit has broken, giving her a drooping nose!), but I am afraid Jhelum is in a bad way - the fore-part has completely broken up above the waterline. Last time I was down (in 2008) she still appeared more or less in one piece, though she was obviously badly hogged.

Some pictures (taken last week) are on Facebook here and here. I was there on business, so only visited the area of Stanley Harbour, but I think I have photograped every wreck in stanley Harbour (I haven't uploaded all my photos yet; Capricorn and the one still in use as a warehouse are not in the photos).

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
I am just wondering if the Carrs (who lived on Curlew for many years in South Georgia and the Falklands) might know who the mystery hulk is?

Here is a nice B-log by Jo Cox, one of the BAS ship's officers with lots of excellent Falklands photos and adventures within - http://jolcox.blog.co.uk/

Jo has a lovely Colin Archer gaff ketch http://www.blog.co.uk/media/photo/canal_3/5102052
that keeps her busy when she is not in high southern latitudes.
(I think she is a sister ship to Paul Johnson's Venus)

PS - Paul, just been having a look at your excellent Facebook photos - and I saw this sweet little Fisher Potter 25 ketch http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6476908&id=602839911&l=ca4662b217 - I am guessing that she (and definitely the wee mobo near by) were shipped to the Falklands?

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I am just wondering if the Carrs (who lived on Curlew for many years in South Georgia and the Falklands) might know who the mystery hulk is?

Here is a nice B-log by Jo Cox, one of the BAS ship's officers with lots of excellent Falklands photos and adventures within - http://jolcox.blog.co.uk/

Jo has a lovely Colin Archer gaff ketch http://www.blog.co.uk/media/photo/canal_3/5102052
that keeps her busy when she is not in high southern latitudes.
(I think she is a sister ship to Paul Johnson's Venus)

PS - Paul, just been having a look at your excellent Facebook photos - and I saw this sweet little Fisher Potter 25 ketch http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6476908&id=602839911&l=ca4662b217 - I am guessing that she (and definitely the wee mobo near by) were shipped to the Falklands?

I would imagine they have been shipped as deck cargo, but of course I have no direct knowledge. But there is plenty of shipping to the Falklands, and good cargo handling facilities, so I would imagine it is not difficult to get a boat shipped down there. But given vessels of reasonable sea-keeping capability, it isn't an impossible delivery journey, either! I know of at least one young man who bought a yacht in Spain and simply sailed it home to the Falklands.

Last edited: