Any experience of ‘Spare Air’ system for diving for quick underwater maintenance ?

eebygum

Visit site
Does anybody have experience of using the cheaper Spare Air systems similar to the one below for quick underwater maintenance ? Are they practical for a 5 min diving job at less than 2 metres ?

https://amzn.eu/d/1uFRLoc

My shaft anode came loose last week and started spinning around the prop. After several attempts I managed to dive down and saw through the loose holding bolts with a junior hacksaw to get it off (to avoid damaging the cutlass bearing and P bracket).

It’s still bloody cold here in the Irish Sea even with a wetsuit, so I’m not sure I have the diving fitness to spend a long time tackling the harder task of attaching the new shaft anode with the fiddly Allen key bolts. But it could be possible using something like the a Spare Air assistance.

It’s certainly cheaper than a £250+ lift out into the slings for an hour. I’m looking at drying out options too but there are not many here in the Menai Straits for a 1.85m fin keel.

Thanks in advance for any reviews.In respect to safety feedback I have had scuba diving training with tanks.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Thanks in advance for any reviews.In respect to safety feedback I have had scuba diving training with tanks.
I am sure you already thought about it, but renting tanks and scuba equipment? Or better a local diver: during Covid times I could not lift out, a diver for anodes replacement was about £50.
Once I needed one in Jersey marina, my sisters had dropped her spectacles in the water, even with sort of kelp a few meter long the diver went down and reappeared ten seconds later with the eyeglasses; then walked away on the pontoons wearing his wetsuit and walking with swimming fins :D

ridgy

Visit site
Penrhyn dock would be the obvious choice for drying out, give Dickies a call.

Maybe space against the wall at caernarfon depending which side of the swellies you are.

Last edited:

eebygum

Visit site
Penrhyn dock would be the obvious choice for drying out, give Dickies a call.

Maybe space against the wall at caernarfon depending which side of the swellies you are.
Yes, I’ve spoken to Dickies, they don’t recommend their drying grid for a fin keel.

I’m moored north of Menai Bridge (opposite Bangor pier); I thought of Beaumaris pier but there is potentially a lot of public nuisance !

Somebody has suggested the slipway at Dinas boatyard which I think might be a good option if I decide not to dive it myself.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I am sure you already thought about it, but renting tanks and scuba equipment? Or better a local diver: during Covid times I could not lift out, a diver for anodes replacement was about £50.
Once I needed one in Jersey marina, my sisters had dropped her spectacles in the water, even with sort of kelp a few meter long the diver went down and reappeared ten seconds later with the eyeglasses; then walked away on the pontoons wearing his wetsuit and walking with swimming fins :D
You won't find a dive shop that will rent out dive cylinders to unqualified divers and almost zero chance of a wet suit.

eebygum

Visit site
How is their grid different to any other grid?

Can't you just dry out on the wall?
It’s not a flat concrete base like many drying out grids, eg Douglas IoM (I was there earlier in the week but there wasn’t the depth for a 1.85m draft)

At Penrhyn harbour drying grid there are spaced timber’s on the floor at right angles to the harbour wall; on a fin keel there is risk you lie will at an angle between these timber piles, so they don’t recommend it. I think Dinas boatyard would be a better option.