?? Any Evidence Of This In Your Corner Of The Universe❓

nortada

Visit site
'Brits living in EU are being denied healthcare,' says Priti Patel

This not intended to be political or current affairs but definitely could effect British boat owners abroad.

No evidence of it here in Portugal. Where, they are making special arrangements to give Covid jabs to visitors, not in the Portuguese health system.

Recently, while visiting Ayamonte, I had a minor accident, using my EHIC, I got excellent medical care but I was surprised how much information they held on me. Like details of a back injury some 12 years ago, again while visiting Spain.

Just to confirm an EHIC is still valid until it’s expiry date, then the a GHIC takes over.

Edited - to clear up any misunderstanding.

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
EHIC is valid but has always been for temporary stays only. Residents should register with the host country medical system.
Exactly. No problem for registered residents in Sweden. Right now as closing date for WA protection for resident applications is getting close governments are wondering where the literally thousands of missing residents are because they have not yet applied to re-new there resident permits ax required.

The penny is beginning to drop that these are Ghost residents kept alive for pensions and benifits by relatives and organised crime. They cannot apply officially because proof as well as a personal visit for photo and fingerprints is mandatory. Therefore I can imagine that health cards are treated with a lot of suspicion.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
EHIC is valid but has always been for temporary stays only. Residents should register with the host country medical system.

There's no EU standard for health care and situation for Brits has no doubt changed since we became third country citizens. Portugal gave retired pre-2021 British residents free entry into health system and an EHIC (although some use S1), whereas Spain and others required residents to have private medical insurance which for many expats living on pensions is just too expensive. Common complaint in many countries during Covid lock-downs is delays trying to legalise status, with many government departments closed to visitors.

Tranona

Visit site
Inevitable that some will experience difficulties as each state has its own way of dealing with post Brexit, plus the problems created by covid. what she was doing in the "puff" type article was saying that the UK has kept its side of the bargain better to put pressure on the EU.

AndersG

Visit site
There's no EU standard for health care and situation for Brits has no doubt changed since we became third country citizens. Portugal gave retired pre-2021 British residents free entry into health system and an EHIC (although some use S1), whereas Spain and others required residents to have private medical insurance which for many expats living on pensions is just too expensive. Common complaint in many countries during Covid lock-downs is delays trying to legalise status, with many government departments closed to visitors.
A S1 gives you access to the Spanish healthcare. It even works now after Brexit.
For those not entitled to an S1 there is a voluntary scheme where you pay a fixed fee every month but I've no idea how good it is.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
A S1 gives you access to the Spanish healthcare. It even works now after Brexit.
For those not entitled to an S1 there is a voluntary scheme where you pay a fixed fee every month but I've no idea how good it is.

We looked at S1 but don't appear to qualify as we have dual residence. It seems to be designed for those who formally emigrate from UK.

According to this, visitors to France will need health insurance as well as EHIC - (60) Macron is taking revenge! UK expats in France are in BIG TROUBLE, The same requirement for France? - YouTube

grumpygit

Visit site
The S1 works fine here in Greece. Of course you have to be 65+ but you do have to declare that you have left the UK. This can be reinstated back to the UK NHS if you have to go back for any reason. You can also attach a dependant to your S1 even if he or she is under the magic 65. We also have a Greek medical insurance cover but that is probably not worth the paper it's written on and I do hope I don't need to test it.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
The S1 works fine here in Greece. Of course you have to be 65+ but you do have to declare that you have left the UK.
gency care).
Anyone know the reason for this 65+ year age limit?

My son (24) left the UK in September last year to take up a job in the EU and was denied a form S1.
He could still register with local healthcare but was subject to a 6 month 'waiting period' before he could access any health services (other than emergency care).

nortada

Visit site

Similar scheme in Portugal. You join a medical panel, pay a standing charge of €30 per annum. You pay for each appointment and any prescriptions but less than the going rates on the open market. If required, these panels can organise patients into hospital, again at a reduced rate. It appears to be popular with regular visitors who are not in the SNS (Portuguese Health Service).

Pre Covid, because flights were so cheap, many Brits used to fly back to the UK for medical care. At present, not so easy.

Others rely on limited health insurance. Provided they are not very old, I understand it isn’t too expensive.

The rest ‘self-insure’ and hope for the best.

I have long been surprised how many people do not have an EHIC or let the one they have expire.

I believe you have to be in receipt of a British State Pension to be in the S1 scheme. My #10 refers.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Italy: if you're resident, then no problem; as for those living here under the radar and contributing nothing, then tough, they've been stymied by the Brexit vote.

I have never understood how people can 'live under the radar' and 'contribute nothing'.

Their income is derived abroad (or they would not be invisible) , so no income tax due, and of course their spending not only contributes to the local economy but also to the country's VAT coffers.

When their EHIC runs out they will have to pay for medical care or travel back to the UK.

- W

nortada

Visit site
I have never understood how people can 'live under the radar' and 'contribute nothing'.

Their income is derived abroad (or they would not be invisible) , so no income tax due, and of course their spending not only contributes to the local economy but also to the country's VAT coffers.

When their EHIC runs out they will have to pay for medical care or travel back to the UK.

- W

Or travel back to the UK and get a new GHIC. Then continue their travels.